Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
detroit_fan

Advice on watering transplanted rose of sharon

detroit_fan
10 years ago

A few years ago I made the mistake of planting Rose of Sharon right next to my house, so this past Saturday i dug them up and moved them to the yard. One of them is about 6feet tall and the other is about 4- 5feet tall. After I placed them in the new hole, I used garden soil made for trees and shrubs to back fill, and made sure to water thoroughly for the next couple days. We had rain for the last 2 days but now I want to drip water them to make sure they stay wet enough to survive.

How long per day should I drip water each one? I can't get the drip rate to 1 per second becasue my spigot is old and not very good, but i have it coming out at about 5 drips per second. They are in a part of the yard that is sloped some.

thanks in advance for any help :)

Comments (7)

• lisanti07028
    10 years ago

Don't water them every day, they'll drown. I would cut them back (a lot, like in half) and just keep an eye on them and the soil they're in. They are probably in more danger from using different soil to back fill the planting holes than from drying out, but they are tough and will probably survive.

• detroit_fan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

why would using a soil made for trees and shrubs harm them?

• lisanti07028
    10 years ago

It's not the kind of soil, it's that the soil in the planting hole is different than the soil surrounding the planting hole, which can make drainage a problem - if the soil around the planting hole drains more slowly than what's in the hole itself, the plant can end up sitting in soggy soil for much longer than is good for it.

• detroit_fan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks for the reply lisanti07028. i am very new to landscaping and gardening and thought i was doing a good thing by using soil made for shrubs, i will know better next time.

hopefully since they are on a slope it should help with draining.

assuming it doesn't rain, how often (and how long of a duration) should they be drip watered in your opinion?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

insert finger.. or use a small trowel.. and dig 3 to 6 inch holes...AND FIND ABOUT MOISTURE AT DEPTH ...

no one.. and i mean.. no one.. BUT YOU.. can define your soil... and how it holds/drains water ...

most shrubs like a good deep drink.. and then near drying before another deep drink ... plus some good mulch ....

and that can be anywhere from a week to a month depending on your soil ... teh weather.. heat wave.. etc ....

what she said about amending the planting hole.. but that is water under the bridge at this point ....

but the thing you missed... is that this ... with PROPER TIMING.. should have been done when the plant was leafless ... to reduce or avoid severe shock ....

do NOT be surprised if it losses all its leaves ... but as noted.. with PROPER WATERING.. it should recover ....

i am.. as my name suggests down in the real SE MI ... in adrian .. GO WINGS !!!

ken

• detroit_fan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks ken, i will try to monitor moisture like you suggested.

i know i should have got them transplanted sooner, but with a 1 year old, 3 year old, wife that works afternoons and working the weekends i just haven't had the time to do it until last saturday. if they lose their leaves that's fine, i knew there would be loss due to the transplant.

i am pretty close to you, i live in monroe. GO WINGS!!

This post was edited by detroit_fan on Wed, May 29, 13 at 18:32

• detroit_fan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

edit- double post

This post was edited by detroit_fan on Wed, May 29, 13 at 18:33