Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosiew

Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Vintage Gold' TRANSPLANTING

rosiew
11 years ago

A friend from the GA Gardening forum here gifted me with three of these today. He removed because they weren't getting enough sun. I will plant this evening in a bed with tons of sun. My question is how can I encourage them toward more fullness. They are each about 4' ht. x 4' w. and just a bit wonky, straggly looking.

I've looked for answers, unsuccessfully. Wonder if there are dormant buds that can be encouraged. Basically, don't know what I'm talking about, but do know where to ask for expert advice.

TIA, Rosie, Sugar Hill, GA

Comments (6)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

its a conifer..

there is a conifer forum...

conifers are also trees.. there is a tree forum..

but they are not shrubs ... lol

regardless. i dont care where you post.. seriously ...

if it were me.. in z8 GA.. with evergreens.. i would pot them.. and leave them in shade.. until the next proper planting time for CONIFERS.. which only God knows for z8 GA.. lol ...

check out the link ... for how to do it ...

if i were you.. i would get them to live.. and then next year.. worry about how they look ...

ask in one of those other forums.. if you need advice on potting MEDIA for trees/conifers ... dirt is what all over you.. after you play in the soil.. and neither of them are good for potted conifers ...

if you insist on going forward.. dam the torpedoes.. check out the link on how to do it right

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• User
    11 years ago

Rosie,
    Ken is right!
    DO NOT plant that now.
    It will die.
    No conifers are to be planted til NOVEMBER.

• rosiew
    Original Author
    11 years ago

BUTTERFLY, I knew they shouldn't have been transplanted now, but they were dug, so I put them in the ground. Can only hope. At least I've found a plant that I'll get to replace them this fall if they die. The openness gives me a soft diversion point from seeing as much of the house across the cul-de-sac that is the least attractive place in the neighborhood.

Rosie

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    11 years ago

First, not all conifers are trees by any stretch of the imagination so don't let that put you off :-) Second, conifers most certainly CAN be planted now (what is that wait until November or they'll die stuff??) although you will need to be diligent about making sure it is well watered through hot weather and any dry spells.

We are not always able to monitor exactly when things should be planted/pruned/divided according to the so-called preferred timing......often it is a situation that is determined by outside forces over which we have no control. You do whatever when you must, just be aware of what the possible drawbacks may be and take them into account.

• rosiew
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the encouragement, gardengal, and again for your help last year when you hold me about rejuvenation pruning of my limemound spireas.

I'm certainly not at all able to control when my plant buddy decides to yank something. These are now planted where I can monitor soil moisture easily - and joy of joys are only 20' from the hose bib.

I cross posted to the conifers forum, after being told here these were not shrubs. Got another encouraging note from there.

Thanks for taking the time to offer advice. I've learned to respect your opinions.

Rosie

• reyesuela
    11 years ago

I'm about to move my "Mops." Not the perfect time, but hey, things don't always fall perfectly!

I'm really not worried about moving it. More worried about it staying.