Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantgnome

Sambucus Sutherland Gold

plantgnome
11 years ago

this guy is about 4 years old in part shade. Very delicate foliage that turns goldish as it cools.

{{gwi:256795}}

Comments (13)

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    11 years ago

Very nice! I have mine in full sun and after looking at your photo I'm thinking that a little shade might be better. I'm in a different zone, but hot sun is hot sun. Mine look a little crispy. Thanks for photo.

• plantgnome
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you-I did a lot of research before buying it-said not full sun tolerant as it scorches. This guy is 5 years old I also have a baby one in same sun situation. Good luck with yours too!

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    11 years ago

These lime/gold plants can drive you nuts. They need 'some' sun to get/maintain their color, but they scorch if too much. I've just been through this with Cotinus 'Ancot' as well. I'm moving my 'Sutherland Gold'!

• plantgnome
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I agree-also the black lace sambucus-heres mine its now two toned. Don't know what to do about it.
    {{gwi:256796}}

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    11 years ago

My black ones (sold as various varieties which may in fact all be the same ones) are all in full sun and are generally enormous. One of them is easily over 10' tall. I need to 'refresh' it at some point but not sure how to do that without it very much 'unrefreshing' me! My S. nigra 'Variegata' is also in full sun, also huge, and that one came from a cutting that a friend rooted in a glass of water. Your 'Black Lace' may need more sun. Not sure about your zone - would be nice to hear from someone closer to you.

• plantgnome
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Your probably right about the sun, mine is about 4 years old, but its very droopy. Only thing I can do is transplant it or try to cut back some trees.

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    11 years ago

They transplant very well when dormant. Just cut it back hard first and make sure it doesn't dry out. I don't know exactly when you would do that (spring or fall). We do that here in Nov/Dec but you may be frozen solid then. It will barely miss a beat!

• plantgnome
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you-I will do it probably in October-November, December may be frozen or not. Had an extremely mild winter here this year. I'll play it by ear come the fall. I was so worried if I transplanted it that it would die.

• alexis717_df
    11 years ago

I've got three black lace bought as 1 gallons, somewhere between 4 - 5 years ago. Their huge, easily somewhere between 8 - 10 feet. They grow fast. Mine aren't droopy, their vase shaped. Mine are grown in full sun. No shade at all. I don't fertilize and I water deeply about once a week.

I've never had an all green shoot like you do, but if I did I would cut it out.

• plantgnome
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just googled it, very early spring is the best time to transplant here. Like February-March.

• plantgnome
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm going to move her in the early Spring to a sunnier spot and will cut off the green shoot at the same time. I think the lack of full sun is the problem. When I planted it, there was more sun in the area, now tall trees have made a canopy blocking out a lot of the sun. So I have to move it or cut down my neighbors tree LOL.

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    11 years ago

It is possible that the green branch is a reversion (in which case you want to cut is out immediately) or it is also possible that it is just green from too much shade. Hard to tell from the photo. Cutting it out isn't going to hurt it any, just might leave a hole. But if it is a reversion, it will be much more vigorous growth than the rest, and it will quickly take over if left to its own devices. Not sure if these are prone to reversions - I have 3-4 black ones and none have ever put out a green shoot. Good luck - as Gilda Radnor said 'It's always something!'

• plantgnome
    Original Author
    11 years ago

LOL, I loved Gilda,
    Hilarious. I'm going out right now to cut off the green guy. Its raining here again, but I do my best gardening in the rain.
    Thanks for all your help.