Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

Problem with Viburnum carlesii [pic]

Not sure what is going on with this carlesii. It's been doing this the last two years. I have two in the yard and they are on opposite sides of the yard and they both are doing this. I unraveled a few of the curling under leaves and didn't see any insect. Any ideas?

{{gwi:256843}}

Comments (13)

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

Aphids.

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    13 years ago

Surely some sucking insect. Aphids likely present somewhere, maybe mites.

Dan

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So is there any organic solution? What about spraying garlic/hot pepper spray?

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    13 years ago

mainegrower, thanks very much for that information. I am going to start with the garlic/pepper spray first and if that doesn't work, I'm happy to have two other choices. Thanks!

• ditas
    13 years ago

Cornell Univ Formula (not the racing car - LOL) worked well for my dil's young tree problem last season. Very easy to mix & spray no waste of $$$ (H2O, baking soda, gentle liquid soap & Canola oil!!!)

Took care of Sawfly caterpils' attack on my roses & Earwigs hiding in foliage folds as well!
    Good luck!

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh great, nice tip because I sometimes have problems with earwigs and some little caterpillar is eating rose foliage. How did you identify the sawfly as the culprit?

• whaas_5a
    13 years ago

I have the same problem to V. carlesii...black aphids.

I'll ask the nursery about the Cornell Univ Formula.

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    13 years ago

I have the problem each year. Aphids. Normally in a limited area for a short period of time. I do nothing. It doesn't seem to hurt the plant and does not get progressively worse.

Also, it is difficult to get spray into the affected areas because the leafs curl tightly when attacked.

Here, we let the lady bugs do their job.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    13 years ago

whaas, I'm pretty sure the Cornell Formula is one you make home made.

Harry... I have had this on my carlesii's for 2-3 yrs now. It's very unattractive. So I have left it for the ladybugs for all this time and it' worse rather than better, so does that mean I don't have ladybugs? Maybe I don't have enough aphids to support the ladybugs. [g]

• ditas
    13 years ago

I originally found the formula when I visited the Rose Forum - there are many variation of the original. They actually used neem oil because it is very light oil - canola oil is very light oil. I mix a gal. to keep handy:
    2 Qts = H2O
    4 tsp = baking soda
    1 Tbsp= mild dish washing liquid
    2 Tbsp= Canola oil

Pm - if you look underneath the foliage you'll see teenee-tiny light green caterpillars - these tiny guys can skeletonize a rose bush nearly overnite!!! They don't touch the blossoms - last season 2 of my KOs were full of blossoms completely undressed of foliage. Daily dousing of the formula took care of the bushes - very soon Rose bushes were normal again!

Whaass if you asked the nursery they sell you a spray bottle of insecticidal soap = at least 10 to 13 $$. A bottle goes very fast!!!

Hs - I don't think it's that difficult - my dil's were badly curled, dousing daily got to the culprits & took care of the problem! Try it you might like it ... saves $$!

• whaas_5a
    13 years ago

Are we saying this formula is ok for viburnums and getting rid of aphids?

I have aphid problems with my roses as well.

Do you just use a regular pump sprayer?

I have this bayer insect killer concentrate I got for free. It only uses 1 oz. per gallon. I used it last year because of the severe infestation of aphids on some of my roses. Worked like a charm...not sure of the enviromental impact but it was all I had at the time.

• ditas
    13 years ago

Yes as long as they are insect problems. There are a few variations in concentrations of each ingredients.

Google Cornell Univ Formula for info. Rose Forum much help as well!!!

I use a cleaned empty gal juice jug for the mix & have a handy spray bottle to walk around w/ ... my 2 gal sprayer is much too heavy for me to log around my different beds.

Check out the Bayer formula impact - if ok by you, by all means ... it's free, right? The Bayer Formula for borers were used as systemic-preventative-remedy for the Ash-tree-borer-epidemic in the Mid-West, a few years back. Bayer sold out to another Co. now, according to my nursery friend.

Well wishes!!! Â;)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional