Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
acdcstrang

One Year Old Boxwood Hedge all Droopy on Top

acdcstrang
10 years ago

I live in Toronto and had a boxwood hedge (Green Gem) planted last spring in my west facing front garden. It has been doing great until just today when I noticed that the tops of the plants are all drooping. These droopy bits are all bright green and limp. I am assuming they are the new growth. I am hoping I didn't do anything to create this problem. I amended the soil last weekend with composted cow manure. (I didn't dig it in because I have a horrible Norway Maple 10 feet away that sends up thousands of tiny roots in the planting bed and I tried to cover them up with the compost. If I dig it in, the roots will be brought up.)

A neighbour said I should try watering them, but we have had a fair amount of rain lately so I can't see that drought is a problem especially as the plants are so vibrantly green and the leaves are not drying out. Is it possible they have had too much water? Until about a week and a half ago, they were getting a good amount of water because I was using the sprinkler to get the grass seed germinated and growing in the lawn and the hedge shared the same watering.

Please help! I spent a good deal of money on these plants and to have all of them looking like this all of a sudden is very disconcerting. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Comments (9)

• acdcstrang
    Original Author
    10 years ago

UPDATE

I have just noticed that two hostas in the same bed as the boxwood hedge are limp. One is almost completely lying flat on the ground. What is happening???

• greenhavenrdgarden
    10 years ago

I was coming here to type the same question. My Green Gem and Green Velvet Boxwood seem bright and healthy but the newer growth is drooping. Because April was so dry in CT, I thought they might be thirsty. This is their second spring in the ground (planted summer '11). I deep watered them and now we are getting lots of rain yet they are still droopy. No other signs of stress. I have dwarf Barberry right next to them and they are fine.
    I've googled and researched but I can't find a solution. These were large and pricey plants when I planted them. I don't remember them doing this last year. What should I (we) do. Help!

• acdcstrang
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I called a local nursery (from where the boxwoods were purchased) to ask about our problem. She said the boxwoods in the nursery are looking the same! So it can't be anything I did!

She suspects that the sharp drop in temperature here in Toronto (are you cold in Connecticut?) after a week of balmy temps, along with strong, drying winds may be the culprits. She did suggest watering them. I imagine it is the same principle involved when giving plants really long drinks of water before the Fall freeze. Although it is cold, the water helps them survive. I've set the sprinkler back out and am crossing my fingers. I'm also hoping it warms up again soon. If anyone else wants to chime in, Greenhavengardening and I are listening :)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

if you have had a rather wet spring.. its not a water issue ...

w/o a picture.. i would suggest a frost or a freeze .... when you werent paying attention ...

drought is drought. water your plants ..

ken

• Charlene Durbin
    5 years ago

I realize this is a really old post, but was wondering how your boxwoods ended up doing. I just planted some wintergems and they are doing the same thing. Bright green, new growth are drooping. It's got me worried.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    5 years ago

Just planted box, or any plant in full growth, needs copious watering. Have you done so?

• Charlene Durbin
    5 years ago

Yes I have. Plus it's rained the last couple of days so I don't feel that that's the issue.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    5 years ago

If you were to create a new post of your own (many will not respond to stale or old threads) and include photos of the plants in question, we may be better able to help you. But floral is correct - limp or wilty new growth on very recently planted shrubs and trees is generally an indication of transplant shock/lack of adequate water. Often when the original rootball is quite dry at the time of planting, it is difficult to rehydrate properly once in the ground.

• Charlene Durbin
    5 years ago

That's a good idea, I will create a new post. Thank you!