Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help identifying shrub/tree

Posted by dan_in_winfield 6 (My Page) on
Sat, May 29, 10 at 16:11

I'm in the Chicago suburbs (5a?)

I wonder if you can help me identify this ornamental tree (or huge shrub). You can probably see in the pic that I pruned all the bottom branches off last season, but it grows very aggressively from the bottom, so now it's a freak. My wife is suggesting I cut off all the top (old) growth and keep it lower and more shrub-like.

* How should this think look if managed properly?
* Should I let it all fill in and be a tall flowering tree?
and
* it is terrible with sending out shoots. I just mow them. Any thoughts on that? http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/A8ZN-VXQQEaOQEBLNDrg0A?feat=directlink http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/qRzHMlLVArJb2_N0dYsiqQ?feat=directlink

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help identifying shrub/tree

Can you show a close up of the leaves and/or flowers?

Here is a link that might be useful: Your picture

o

close up pix..

and google REJUVENATION PRUNING OF FLOWERING SHRUBS.. on how to do it the right way

ken

o

Do the flowers make you want to vomit? If so, you have Common Privet.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ligustrum vulgare

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sun, May 30, 10 at 0:27

If the much larger tree behind was also skinned up that way by you then you are definitely cutting too much off. See the replacement shoots coming of the one trunk? That's a hint: if an older tree sends out a new branch where you have cut one off, you should not have cut it off. Once a tree gets beyond its youth there should only be emergency removals of live branches.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here