Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lilac Dying?

Posted by E-Morrow MO (My Page) on
Tue, May 8, 12 at 16:15

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum. I've done a little research and you guys seem to be the most knowledgeable. I would appreciate any advice or suggestions you could offer me.

I'm a new home-owner, and one of the plants in my backyard is a Edward J. Gardner Lilac (Syringa vulgaris.) The flowers on the plant are looking brown and dead. I've read that lilacs only bloom one time a year, but wanted to make sure there wasn't something I need to be doing. It gets plenty of light, the soil around is fine, and I have a sprinker system that I'm going to start using. Is the brown normal? Is there something I should be doing? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I have pictures, but not sure the best way to post them. thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lilac Dying?

Think I figured it out...

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

o

horrible year here in MI ..

early hot spell bolted the flower buds..

only to be repeatedly hit with hard frosts and a few freezes..

leaving me with scraggly bloom and a lot of brown dead buds ...

sound familiar???

otherwise.. lilac NEED NOTHING...EVER .. except the cooperation of mother nature. .. heck.. run them over with the truck.. they wont care ...

would still like to see pix. to confirm the suggestions ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: how to post pix

o

You can dead head it if you have time on your hands. Otherwise leave it alone. It looks perfectly normal.

o

Ken, sounds very familiar! Hot spell early in April, then lots of rain/colder weather, and now we're back to hot.

Oh, and not sure the truck would fit through the gate but will consider the suggestion. Haha. Thanks!

o

my point with the truck.. is but for some powdery mildew.. its NEVER a lilac problem..

it had to be weather..

and yes.. the pic wasnt there when i posted.. and it looks just like my freeze damage ...

ignore it .. and hope for a better show next spring..

ken

o

Sounds good, thanks to the both of you for the help!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here