Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
shrubs for shady front yard

Posted by mack26 NoVA 7 (My Page) on
Wed, May 5, 10 at 16:45

Hi, I'm planting some shrubs in my front yard of a home I purchased last fall. The previous owner had some kind of holly planted next to the house that they let overgrow and was reaching up to the second floor windows. They were too big to trim back to managable size, so I cut them out completely. Now I am looking for a replacement. The front yard is entirely north facing, so gets minimal direct sunlight in the mornings. The soil is typical VA clay. I live in Northern Virginia, zone 7 I believe. I'd like a shurb that is evergreen. I plan on trimming it back so that it doesn't get any higher than about 5 feet. I still want to be able to see out the front windows. I've kind of narrowed it down to three types, all seem to have their pros and cons. Help me decide and "pull the trigger" or suggest another option. The three I've narrowed down to are Inkberry (I. glabra) (shamrock or densa so that it remains within the 5 foot range), yew densaforma (so this is a good hedge about 4-5'), and a type of blue holly, I believe either blue maid or blue princess. I'm going for a solid hedge in front about 4-5'. Let me know what you all think, pros and cons. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: shrubs for shady front yard

• Posted by hortster 6A, southcentral KS (My Page) on
    Wed, May 5, 10 at 19:50

Inkberry tends to get very leggy as it grows and haven't had good luck here. The plants that seem to prosper in shade in my area in KS are the yews (Taxus), boxwoods (Buxus) - in particular I like 'Green Velvet,' 'Manhattan' or 'Pauli' euonymus and some of the hydrangeas (A.G. and others). Some of the viburnums will tolerate shade and still bloom nicely. We have mixed luck with hollies here because of the alkaline soils, so can't comment on those.
hortster

o

Hollies take shearing well. Dwarf burford, blue hollies etc. Also, consider 'Soft Touch', a type of Helleri. It grows wide and not so high...might need more sun though.

Think about low-growing rhodies - like Yaku Prince. Could be beautiful.

A row of aucubas would be nice if you have dark brick or paint to contrast with.

'Conoy' viburnum is evergeen - might need some sun though.

Camellias might work -- look for the wider growers.

Prunus laurocerasus 'Otto Luyken' (spelling?) is very serviceable.

o

Will Mt. Laurels (Kalmia) do well for you? They grow wild in woods, but may need organics added to the soil as would rhodies, even a raised bed with coarse bark to help drainage for your clay soil.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here