Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
misterpatrick

Yew dying back, how much to trim?

misterpatrick
10 years ago

Hello all,

we moved into this house a few years back and the yew surrounding the house are doing fine except for a few right in front of the house. The yews next to it are doing fine, but these couple are dying back fairly quick. Should I trim all the brown back? I'm not sure what the underlying condition might be though by trimming I might be able to see if some of the chipmunks are rooting around in it or something.

I trimmed the deadwood off last season and a lot more has died. We had a very rough winter here which hasn't helped.

Thanks!

Comments (8)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

time to get rid of it ...

otherwise.. trace back n teh branch with the dead brown stuff.. to the fork in the road where there live green tissue...

and when you are done with that.. step back.. and then trim out the rest and get rid of it..

because it will be the ugliest thing you ever saw ... lol

ken

ps: the clincher.. this is the front of your house.. NOT the place for a 5 year renovation project ... if it were on the back 5 acres.. fool around with it ,.. eh???

• misterpatrick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Ken,

thanks for the advice. I will gently prune it until it is a hole in the ground.

My one concern is that there isn't an underlying soil problem that will just kill it's replacement. As I mentioned the shrubs to the immediate left are a great shape so hopefully these have just run their course.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    10 years ago

From the picture, they look more like junipers. Are you sure they're yews?

10 years ago

the odds of it being a soil problem are low to nill ... possible but not probable ...

if it is juniper.. google : juniper tip blight ...

they are conifers.. there is a conifer forum.. and if you really want to make a statement on the front of your house... other than bigboxstore offerings.. go visit that forum ... they could also ID a closeup of the needles ...

i like this: I will gently prune it until it is a hole in the ground. ... lol ... there is nothing gentle in this process .. lol .. juniper will prick you.. and make your arms look like they have a rash .. yew wont ...

ken

• misterpatrick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pretty sure it's a dwarf yew. But here's a close-up of a healthy portion with new growth. We have a couple good nursery's here that I'll speak with about replacement and hopefully find the same cultivar.

10 years ago

you are correct

but it still begs the question .. of what you will end up with.. once you trim out the dead ... which is the only place to start ... no matter what caused the brown ...

the link says:
    Most damage occurs on eastern red cedar and on creeping, Rocky Mountain, and savin junipers, but you may also see the fungus on arborvitae, white cedar, cypress, Douglas-fir, fir, yew, and larch.

its simply not a plant.. i would spend more money curing.. than it would cost to replace ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

That looks like herbicide or salt damage. Ken is correct about the pruning. Cut back to live branches and see what you have. And it really will take 4-5 years to fill in.

tj

• misterpatrick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks. We've been here three years now and don't use herbicide or salt and the shrubs are not near the road. I'll trim and at least see what's going on with the plants and if they need to be replaced.

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County