Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how to fertilize Burning Bush to limit chlorosis?

Posted by daisyfan MI (5b) (My Page) on
Mon, May 18, 09 at 17:14

I have 3 burning bush which have chlorosis problems every year. My soil is alkaline and I do (did) use hardwood mulch, 2 things which are supposed to strongly contribute to the problem.

Im going to try using a different mulch this year but I also want to amend the soil. I cannot find any straight answers online about what to use. Elemental sulfur, ammonium sulfate, iron sulfate, even "Rhodie"-type fertilizers or manure is mentioned.

Can anyone please help?

(P.S. I just joined GardenWeb but I have been reading the forums for years. I have learned so much from all of you! And yes, I know most of you hate burning bush because it is considered invasive!)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how to fertilize Burning Bush to limit chlorosis?

I don't hate burning bushes...I LOVE them. Of course, they aren't invasive out here!

When you have alkaline soil, and the soil needs to be more acidic, the first thing I add is sugar. you already have it, try it. If that doesn't work, I give it miriacid around the base of the plant every two weeks. :)

o

you will NOT impact pH with mulch.. unless you have a epoch or two ....

have a soil test done.. contact your local couty Ag office ...

and then get horticultural sulphur at any decent garden shop ...

all that said.. BBush is horribly invasive in MI ... you really need to separate from it.. and move on to something better

ken

o

Wanting to continue to have an invasive plant aside, iron chelate.

Dan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here