Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is my pyracantha dying?

Posted by javaandjazz z6 CT (My Page) on
Wed, May 16, 12 at 17:15

My pyracantha has no new growth at all this year and still retains the berries from last fall. The leaves have not really greened up either. We had a dry early spring but have had enough rain in the last month. I am stumped. Does anyone have a clue as to what's happening? Thanks, Richie

IMG_5956

IMG_5955

IMG_5954

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is my pyracantha dying?

It's been a very strange spring- give it more time, perhaps.
Some of my plants don't quite know what to do, either.

o

Wow! Great job on your espalier!!

But, your Pyra' doesn't look so happy, eh? Hmmmmm. I'm hoping a little more time will do it good. Fingers crossed for you. Mine also tends to look like that after a rather dry winter before the spring rains work their magic and the new shiny foliage comes through.

I also have mine espaliered and I know that Pyracantha blooms on old wood, so I try to prune it only after it flowers in the late spring. But, I'm finding that it's not blooming in places where it previously bloomed/berried.

I tried reaching out to fellow forum folk for advice, but no one answered. So, I'm thinking of doing some experimenting and trying judicious pruning in areas that previously bloomed/berried hoping that it will stimulate some new growth in those areas for this season that will then bloom/berry next season. Make sense?

Anyhow, best of luck with your Pyro' and if you have any advice for my Pyro' pruning then please pass it along.

ps - Mine has red berries. Nearly half of it was covered with so many red berries this winter that you could barely see the foliage. I should have taken pics!

o

That doesn't look good to me. I've not grown Pyracantha but I do know they can get Fireblight and Scab.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pyracantha problems

o

I am hoping I don't have scab. I am going to give it more time and see what happens? Do any of you have suggestions in case I have to pull it out and replace it with something else I can grow on the trellis. Thanks everyone!

o

I am hoping I don't have scab. I am going to give it more time and see what happens? Do any of you have suggestions in case I have to pull it out and replace it with something else I can grow on the trellis. Thanks everyone!

o

If you do decide to replant, I'm sure there are Pyracatha's out there that are Fireblight/Scab resistent. Best of luck!

o

So it's dead! The leaves are all turning yellow from the bottom up and they are falling off as well. It's gotten worse over the past week. I have several baby pyracanthas growing in pots in back of my garage and I am considering putting one of them in place but I will have to spray for the scab from now on. My question is, would you replant the same variety plant?

o

I would highly suggest replacing it with something Fireblight/Scab resistent. You obviously spent a great deal of time/effort creating such a beautiful espalier. It would be so sad to see that go to waste. Best of luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here