Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nat4b

Looking for a new shrub

nat4b
11 years ago

Hi;

Can you please help me find an 'ideal' shrub? I want it to be no more than 5-6 feet tall, easy to care for, not much pruning, and it should also take some (well, quite a bit of) shade. Is there such thing out there? And commonly available?

This is how our yard looked like before. Some previous owners planted honeysuckle all along the perimeter of the backyard (except from far back, half the fence, I don't know why), with an occasional lilac, mainly in the corners.

{{gwi:257824}}

It was all good until I got into some gardening, and planted some flowers. Gradually those honeysuckle were trimmed, then cut down, and some dug out. They were so huge. And hard to trim, you trim, you prune, and they just grow twice as big very very soon. Now most of them are gone, except on the back fence, and three by the patio, and one in the middle of the right side fence. I finally talked my husband into removing that one too, but he wanted something there for a 'vertical interest'.

This is the place. Sorry I don't have a better picture, but that new shrub I want should be to the left of the tree (I think I also made a mistake of putting a tree there, but that's another story). This is neighbors garage there, and it's its north side, facing north. Shade. But quite sunny to the left of this place.

{{gwi:257825}}

Can you please suggest any?

Thanks

Comments (8)

• confused_gardener
    11 years ago

You can check with a local nursery if Spirea Shrub (usually grows 2 feet tall & wide would be a good fit or a Lilac which could be kept around 4-5 feet tall).

If you do not receive a satisfactory response from this post, take the picture to the local nursery and talk to the expert there. This way you can have a peek at the plants that will best fit to your location.This is the route I followed to put a lilac in my yard & happy about it.

• nat4b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, confused gardener. We have 2 spireas, and quite a bit of lilacs. I just don't know how to propagate them (I tried :)) Plus, I think it's a bit shady for a lilac.
    Yes, local nursery is good suggestion, I just need to get there, they close early in the day :)

• arbo_retum
    11 years ago

variegation will liven up the scene quite a bit. How bout variegated weigela or cornus alba elegantissima.

particularly when you ask for advice on plants, it is easier for everyone trying to help you if you include your location with your zone in your moniker.Your z.4 can mean very different things depending upon where it is.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    11 years ago

It looks like the shade is pretty bright. How about one of the smaller rhododendrons if you live in an area with acid soil, or even a high bush blueberry. The rhody will stay green all winter, though the leaves will roll up, and the blueberries will provide some flowers and fruit and gorgeous fall color. Hydrangea paniculata 'Little Lime' or any of the Hydrangea arborescens like 'Annabelle', Incrediball, or Invincibelle Spirit will be the right size and hardy enough.

To add to Mindy's suggestion for some interesting foliage, spirea 'Ogon' has willowy gold foliage (so looks quite different from other spireas); Cornus/dogwood 'Cream Cracker', and C. 'Ivory Halo' are both a bit smaller that C. elegantissima but still have variegated leaves and colored winter twigs; Physocarpus opulifolius/ninebark 'Lemon Candy', P. 'Burgundy Candy', or P. 'Summer Wine' are all shorter than the average ninebark and have colored foliage. As Mindy mentioned, there are a bunch of shorter variegated weigela which would be lovely, but don't try the dark reddish leaved varieties since they tend to not color well in too much shade.

• nat4b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks arbo_retum and nhbabs for suggestions!
    Zone 4 is in NE IA.
    I was thinking about hydrangea too, but from what I saw around, they are all short and take up a lot of room, of which I don't have much :) We have a couple variegated dogwoods in other places maybe I'll consider this.
    Anyway, I'll go research your suggestions, thanks again

• jayco
    11 years ago

Dwarf fothergilla.

• jayco
    11 years ago

Oops, sorry, didn't see you are Zone 4.

• Tim
    11 years ago

I know this is not a shrub, but a hosta or two would look great right there.
    If you are dead set on a shrub, then you may consider the Hummingbird Summersweet, Raspberry Tart Viburnum, or Blue Muffin Viburnum. These are all easy to care for, grow well in shade, and do not grow over 4-5 feet tall.