Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bug ID on Hydrangea Annabelle? Photos

Posted by prairiemoon2 zone 6a/MA (My Page) on
Sat, May 22, 10 at 17:45

It looks like there is a caterpillar inside the leaves making a mess and maybe laying eggs? Wondering if I can just cut these terminal leaves off but if I do will I lose my flowers for the season? Any other thoughts?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bug ID on Hydrangea Annabelle? Photos

Hi Ann...I'm no expert, but if this was my shrub, I'd cut the leaves off. As long as the flower buds remain, it'll flower. Keep an eye on it and pick off caterpillars as soon as you see them. I think this is the year of the caterpillar for everyone.

o

I never saw so many caterpillars, Anita! If it isn't one kind it's another. The birds are having a feast and I've never seen Orioles in my yard so much. Yes, I'm going to have to start visiting my roses a couple of times a day trying to find the culprits on those.

I haven't looked closely at all the leaves that have these rolled up 'suites' in them so I'm not sure if there are flower buds in them or not. I'll have to go over it good tomorrow.

Thanks Anita!

o

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Sun, May 23, 10 at 13:40

Leafrollers of one kind or another. Why cut off leaves when you can squish the beast in place? Yes, I know; the eeuuw factor!

Having a garden sometimes requires nerves of steel. Well, sort of.

o

i am with jean.. peel them open .... pick up any litle stick .... and get the chucker out of there.. place under shoe .. and walk away ..

ken

o

Ok, I don't have a problem with getting them out of there. I have gloves and that way maybe the leaves will be okay. I'll try it. Thanks :-)

o

Just to clarify, I didn't mean cut "all" the leaves off...just the one or two that have the caterpillars in them. :)

o

we knew that...

we are just suggesting they arent going to attack you... or move so fast you cant get away ... so just remove the bug .... gardening is a science experiment.. enjoy the multitude of experience.. dont fear it ...

the only time to resort to chems.. is if the whole plant is affected ... IMHO ....

and amputation is a bit extreme ... lol

ken

ps: now a wasps next .. on the other hand.. call a pro .. lol .. or if bees.. find a bee keeper ...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here