Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ginny12first

How is your 'Shasta' viburnum doing?

ginny12
11 years ago

My Shasta viburnum has developed a rather lax and messy habit that I was not expecting. It's about 15 years old and is packed with flowers right now--you can hardly see any leaves. Gorgeous in bloom.

But this was sold as having a very horizontal branching habit and that was really the main reason I planted it. It's getting kind of wild and woolly and not very attractive when not in bloom. No other problems.

How is your Shasta viburnum doing?

Comments (4)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

google REJUVENATION PRUNING OF FLOWERING SHRUBS ....

15 years.. is a long time to rely on tag descriptions..

basically .. you are suggesting that grandpa isnt looking like the young stud he once was ...

fortunately.. we can rejuvenate him ...

and this would start.. right after flowering ....

in the extreme... most viburnum.. in my experience [which is not great, and i would defer to the local pro, viburnum-man .. lol ..] .. could be cut to 6 inches to the ground ... and with no insult to the root system ... be back to 3 or 4 feet by fall .... but you would have to get really angry at it.. to go to that extreme ...

ken

• ginny12
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the reply. I am a very experienced gardener and do a lot of research before adding a plant to my garden. 15 years is not old for most shrubs and rejuvenation is not what this viburnum needs.

My question is for others who have Shasta viburnums ten or more years old. Has your Shasta maintained its highly touted horizontal branching habit? This shrub has been extremely popular the last 20 years or so, so I'm hoping others with experience can share.

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    11 years ago

Mine is about ten years old, and yes, it does still have a very noticable horizontal branching habit. It looks like it always has, just bigger.

• ginny12
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for that info, mg. We'll see how this shrub looks when it stops blooming. Maybe the weight of the flowers is adding to the issue--tho I'm definitely not complaining about that.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting