Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Juniper 'Blue Rug'

Posted by cathyann z5 IL (My Page) on
Sun, May 2, 10 at 18:23

Just curious if anyone has had a problem with rabbits eating their Blue Rub Junipers?

If so, I'll need to get sone spray or chicken wire.

TIA!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Juniper 'Blue Rug'

Never say never when it comes to rabbits, but mine have escaped any damage in 20+ years.

o

• Posted by artdeco 5 - Chicago NWburbs (My Page) on
    Mon, May 3, 10 at 1:13

My guess would be deer ate them.
I've got rabbit holes dug in the dirt under the boughs of my 'Blue Rugs', but none of the branches have ever been chewed. The rabbits like this area because it's along the driveway by the house & the coyotes, raccoons & foxes stay away from this area.

o

Deer will eat juniper only if they're starving.

o

If an herbivore like deer or bunny can't find food, they'll eat whatever to ensure they stay alive. I wouldn't bother with chicken wire, as there should be plenty of food now that is far, far, far, far more palatable than some juniper.

Dan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here