Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lilac Question

Posted by njoasis 7 (My Page) on
Tue, May 1, 12 at 18:31

Today, I was weeding around my lilac and crape myrtles and noticed lots of plants emerging from the surrounding area that appeared to be lilac--in other words, the plants were growing from the ground and spreading around the single lilac bush I originally planted--almost invasively toward the crapes. I did not realize lilac did this--if it is in fact, lilac. Also, can I propagate the plants this way. Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lilac Question

I believe the answers are yes and yes.

lilacs tend to sucker and these suckers are able to be removed from the parent and transplanted. do some digging and you'll find out what the roots look like on the suckering stems.

o

I have discovered that can also seed themselves quite competently as is the case with the Preston lilac growing next door.

o

In a related question is there a way to encourage suckering? I am trying to grow a hedge and want the plants to spread out in between the origional plantings. Should I mulch the row? Will that remove the competition from the grass growing there now and will the shoots be strong enough to break through a layer of thick mulch?

o

CH, as another lilac hedge aspirant :) I bet if you tell people that you want lilac suckers you'll be showered with them, and then you can just stick them in the ground and see what they do. I got lucky and found a lady who wanted to get rid of her patch of lilacs. I went with a shovel and filled my truck, so keep an eye on craigslist too. I've also been told that if you mulch lilacs with compost, you won't get blooms but they'll grow foliage like crazy, and you profit in later years. Haven't tried that though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here