Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help with shrub selection

Posted by katrina_ellen MI-5 (My Page) on
Mon, May 12, 14 at 18:37

Hello All,
I am in the process of planting a row of shrubs alongside the chain link fence to provide some privacy and enclosure in my backyard. This is what I have so far: 5 Emerald green arborvitae's that begin the row, next in the row are two Summer Wine Ninebarks. In the very back of the yard, centered in it is a Large Colorado Blue spruce. I am looking for suggestions of what to plant to finish out the row. The shrubs are on the north side of the house but it gets full sun to light shade. It does not have to be evergreen - I am in Zone 5 and it gets very cold so I don't hang out outside in the yard in the cold months. I thought about planting all Summer Wine Ninebarks to finish it out, but if you have any other suggestions that you could throw out there I would really appreciate it. I thought of Ivory Halo Dogwoods after the two Ninebarks, they get about the same size as the Ninebarks and seem like they would coordinate well color-wise. Or...? Thanks for any advice and or suggestions!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help with shrub selection

Why not some of the large Viburnums? V. dilatums 'Asian Beauty' or 'Erie', or a couple of V. dentatums, or V. sargentii 'Susquehanna'.

o

My favorite viburnum is V. sargentii 'Onondaga'. Arrowwood viburnum, V. dentatum is also very showy.

o

My favorite viburnum is V. sargentii 'Onondaga'. Arrowwood viburnum, V. dentatum is also very showy.

o

Thanks for the suggestions lacey and prairie, I will look them up, I have never grown a viburnum so am not familiar with them. Funny because I had in my mind to check them out, due to hearing so many gardeners on this site growing them.

o

Viburnum plicatum f. tomentosum is one of my favorite Viburnums. Rock hardy, fluffy white flowers that cover the plant in May, and excellent red fall color. I have a couple of different types.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here