Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Caryopteris divaricata Snow Fairy

Posted by ken_adrian z5 (My Page) on
Thu, May 26, 11 at 18:38

hows this for some winter damage .... lol

coming right back.. full steam ahead ...

ken

ps: so instead of pruning shears .. i take the camera .. you win.. the plants will deal with it ... lol ... if i leave them there long enough.. they will rot and i can just pull them out.. what.. maybe 2 years ....

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Caryopteris divaricata Snow Fairy

Ken, Caryopteris divaricata, either the species or cultivars, is a herbaceous perennial, not a sub shrub like C. clandonensis. It dies back to the ground like any other, even in zone 6A. I cut it back in fall when I'm doing garden clean up.

BTW, you should try 'Snow Fairy' with Geranium 'Rozanne' climbing through it.

o

I have C. clandonensis and absolutely love it! So when I saw your post I wondered if this was something I wanted to get for my garden. Upon reading about it I came across an interesting statement that when the leaves of C. divaricata are crushed, it smells like cat urine. Is this true? I like the variegated leaves and it does look like it's going to do well.

It's nice to know someone else takes pictures of their plants in less than optimal condition:) Yours looks just like mine before I cut it back and I love the way mine propagates itself when it touches the ground. Babies to give away or plant in my own garden!!

Vickie

o

• Posted by ademink z5a-5b Indianapolis (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 6, 11 at 14:46

Yes, it smells like cat urine. lol I love it too though and mine is like this - an herbaceous perennial.

I just grab the dead by the handful and twist...comes right off!

o

Thank you, Vickie! Great idea for propogation. I'll have to bend a few branches down into the soil and get some babies going. I LOVE this plant. It is truly one of my very favorites so I'll have to make at least 5 more and see where I can fit them in!

I especially like companion planting it with Dicentra spectabalis, so that when the Bleeding Hearts are fading away, the Caryopteris is just starting to emerge. Perfect planting partners!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here