Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jdub21_gw

Wax Myrtle HELP!!

jdub21
11 years ago

I am new to planting; I usually just mow the yard but recently did some landscape in the backyard. I planted 14 Wax Myrtles along the fence line for privacy; they are small - 2 ft.

The wax myrtles have been in the ground for about 3 weeks. I just recently noticed that many of the leaves are turning brown and have brown, dark colored spots on them and are falling off.

I have no idea why..too much water...not enough water??? I don't want to lose them. What should i do if anything? Any advice or recommendations are appreciated.

Comments (5)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

need a picture...

where are you ... for most of the US ... you are a bit late for planting.. the easy way ...

they are obviously stressed ... one reaction to stress.. is the interior browning and loss of INTERIOR leaves.. the old one.. no plant holds its leave forever ...

any leaf issues beyond STRESS is usually secondary ...

life is all in the growth buds ... and the plant will sacrifice all the leaves to protect them ...

PROPER WATERING is the issue.. refer to the link for such.. or ask ..

please describe your watering protocol in minute detail ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• jdub21
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am located in Austin Texas. I have not followed a specific watering schedule. I've been watering the shrubs every 2-3 days. I also put some "plant and shrub" fertilzier around the bottom of the shrubs a week ago; i realize now that this was probably not good since the plants are not established.

Assuming it is a watering issue. What is the best schedule now that the plants have been in the ground 3-4 weeks?

• jcalhoun
    11 years ago

If the soil is damp then you don't need to water.

A picture would definitely help.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

insert finger.. and water.. WHEN THEY NEED IT!!!!

its an art.. not a science.. meaning.. simply.. there is no schedule.. nor calender use ...

the need to be damp .. not sopping wet.. thru the whole root zone.. and then NEAR drying .. before being watered again..

a good mulch is recommended...

it may be to your advantage.. to take a small hand shovel and dig down .. next to what you planted.. and find out if there is actually water deep down in rootball you planted ...

and next time.. figure out the PROPER PLANTING TIME for your area ...

also ... interior browning.. is NORMAL.. those are the oldest leaves.. and no plant retains them forever..

and it is very common for them to be shed due to the shock of transplant.. especially if somewhat out of season ...

life is all in the buds.. or the growth points.. and as long as those stay green.. and grow.. the rest will follow ... sooner or later ...

w/o pix.. thats as far as we can go ... at least me anyway ...

ken

• kim_bland
    8 years ago

Ken, I would love for you to provide advice for my wax myrtle. I had them transplanted two weeks ago in Austin, TX. They were great and we have had rain the entire time they were replanted. Today we noticed the wax look limp, brown leaves and is shedding. YIKES. My baby was privacy from neighbors in back. Is this normal?