Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brian_zn_5_ks

New and Improved! Not always...

brian_zn_5_ks
12 years ago

I pulled a bunch of inventory out of the back of the nursery today and put it on sale at ridiculous clearance prices. These are plants that just didn't catch that "lightning in a bottle" that the marketing people promised they would. Some of them are decent plants, just not as exciting as the glossy ads suggested (nursery people look at catalogs over the winter too, you know). Some just never caught the public fancy, despite their satisfactory performance. Some turned out to be unsuited to my gardening area, and they perform real well for other parts of the country. Some do just fine in the garden, but never look like much in my nursery, so never get into a garden for a fair trial.

Here's some plants you wont find in my nursery anymore:

'Young Lady' smokebush - a good grower, an excellent repeat bloomer if you dead head, but my customers want purple. They have made that abundantly clear. When I walk through the nursery real early in the morning, there is a lovely blush of pink to the blooms, but mostly they are a boring pale white. People want purple, it's that simple. I don't see anybody singing the praises of 'Grace' anymore, either. That's because it's not purple.

Leptodermis - Even if it had a catchy name (where was marketing on this one?) it's still a loser. Looks raggedy in the nursery, and doesn't do jack in the ground for me, either.

Seven Son Flower- I've seen dramatic specimens, and gosh it grows vigorously! Sold one in 4 years. By that time the original order of #2's was in #15 pots. I gave them away.

Sorbaria 'Sem'- I feel so badly about this one, gosh they are lovely, I swoon over the spring foliage. Dam thing is a sneaky thug, The one in the trial garden has pups coming up 8 foot away. It wasn't supposed to do that.

Tinkerbell lilacs - Far too susceptible to wet feet problems. In fact, seem to die if it rains. I lost 50 one spring a few seasons ago, and gave credit for the 30 or 40 I had sold. Asked my sales rep what was up, she said well Brian they do real well out west in Hays. I said, Hays gets 14 inches of rain a year, I get 35. Called Bailey's nursery propagator, he said, oh yeah, there's some moisture problems with this one. I will say this, they work real well as grafted standards.

Yellow-foliaged shrubs - That Kolkwitzia 'Dream Catcher', that Caryopteris 'Sunshine Blue' - all those shrubs of that ilk - my customers say they look sick. They don't want these yellow foliage plants, and marketing can take a flying leap.

Endless Summer hydrangea- Now, I'm still selling these, and I'm grateful for the marketing push for Independent Garden Centers to make some good sales when these were introduced. But there is a little joke in my industry, we call them "Endless Bummer". Every nurseryman I know has stories of an endless stream of customers coming back to say that the plant didn't perform as advertised. They don't bloom all summer - not in the heat of a Kansas summer. You can't plant them in full sun, as their tag recommends. And it takes a few years for them to really establish and perform "as advertised". Not the plants fault - but try to explain that to a customer. The spin-offs- Light of Day, Twist and Shout - aren't all that magical, either.And, I'd like to know why my growers still think they can charge me $20 for a #5 when the box outlets are selling #5's for $15.

I'm sure all these plants are selling, and growing, and gracing gardens real well somewhere, and I think that's great. We Americans have a really big garden to work with.

Brian

Comments (13)

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Tinkerbelle has done well for me for many years in my very sandy, well draining soil. Yellow foliaged shrubs like Deutzia 'Chardonnay Pearls' are gorgeous. Can't imagine why people wouldn't like Heptacodium; a great plant for late summer bloom, and great bark in winter. Leptodermis you can keep.

• anitamo
    12 years ago

Oh, how I wish that I could have taken all your seven son's off your hands. I agree about the apt named "Endless Bummer."

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

Even here in cool western WA the flowerheads on Endless Bummer* go brown early. I was looking at some stock yesterday that included plant with a flowerhead that was browning, while still in the process of opening up and becoming colored. We had a sunny afternoon the other day, with temperatures in the 60's F., during this, our coldest spring on record so far. Was this too much "heat" for it?

The vendor said if the plants were not on sale they would have been 40 DOLLARS for the 3? gallon pot. I wouldn't pay that for a rhododendron, in that size.

Other introductions seem much better, 'Nikko Blue' for instance. As is Twist n Shout, which makes a dramatic and full display while still in nursery containers.

*Note that Bailey uses Endless Summer as a marketing name for a series of unrelated plants, and not just for the one flophead mophead

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    12 years ago

Interesting....!

I happen not to like purple smokebush - but would like to have a green one...! I looked that 'Young Lady' one up and I think I'll try to find one. Heptacodium has been a fabulous tree for me - hard to believe that it hasn't sold well for you. Sorbaria are scary! They look nice though in planting on road medians in several places in our town. I'm in the 'yellow foliage looks sick' camp :-) But I've come to realize that the best way to use yellow foliaged plants is to put a bunch of them together so they make a golden garden together, rather than have a sick-looking yellow plant amongst darker geen ones. Maybe if you displayed some together that way it would help sell them. Last year and this I'm starting to develop a 'golden path' in part of the woodland garden. So far I've used/plan to use Golden Forest Grass, Sum and Substance hosta, some yellow variegated euonymus and probably some yellow-green heucheras and golden Full Moon Japanese maple.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    12 years ago

Thank's, Brian.

My Endless Bummer has had exactly four blooms in four years. I've heard of tricks like cutting 1/3 of new growth in spring to fertilizing the snot out of them to try and get more blooms. For the first time old wood has survived the winter and I did pay strict attention to ferts last year so if nothing improves this year, it's history. I can always put a Hosta or Hemlock in there. ;-)

tj

• zookeeperinwa
    12 years ago

I'd like to know if anyone has any experience with Pieris japonica "Fire n' Ice." It's a brand new variety here in the Columbia Basin of Washington, and just a few weeks after planting these lovely $40 a piece plants, they are dead, dead, dead! I gave them acidic potting soil, wilt-pruf, transplant solution. I did everything the nursery I got them from suggested and they declined by leaps and bounds.

• marymd7
    12 years ago

Interesting report -- I've seen some of these varieties in nurseries and wondered if they moved. A few of the yellow foliage shrubs are lovely (tiger eyes sumac comes to mind), but I tend to agree that many of them (particularly the caryopteris) just look sickly.

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

I would not expect any Pieris to be suitable for the Columbia Basin, without very careful siting and special site preparation. Note that in the interior region related plants from the same family, the native wild huckleberries, grow spontaneously only up in the mountains, where there is more moisture and less hot, dry air in the summer, and the soil is acidified by an abundance of conifers.

Pieris japonica is an east Asian species coming from places where it rains buckets in summer. If you don't see rhododendrons, azaleas and Japanese maples all around your community, you do not have the right environment for pieris.

Colored foliage plants like purple smokebush and yellow-leaved this and that have particular uses in planting design, where they then produce excitement and delight. If you always view plant varieties as stand alone objects then there will be whole swathes of them that you do not plant and enjoy. To make full use of the range of what is offered, and to realize the full potential of your ornamental gardening you must think in terms of plant combinations rather than individual, unrelated specimens.

• buyorsell888
    12 years ago

I love yellow foliaged plants! I was just upset that I killed my 'Sunshine Blue' Caryopteris by pruning it before we had our last hard frost. The one whose name escapes me that is yellow variegated is sprouting and so is 'Petite Bleu' but not 'Sunshine' :(

I have yellow Spireas, Huecheras, Tiarellas, Hakone grass and a new yellow Dicentra and Brunnera too. I've got that yellow Clematis alpina too. Love purple but too much purple is too dark.

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

Purple foliage is not as "out there" as yellow or variegated leaves, you can increase interest using purple without resorting to the dominating intensity of yellow or the clownishness of variegation.

• poaky1
    12 years ago

I just ordered 2 seven son flower plants, maybe the majority of your customers only recognize the super-common plants.

• IRuehl
    12 years ago

Must have gotten luck with the endless summer. Got a 1 gallon before had any blooms, Has about 3 that are HUGE and about 6 still opening up. But they are part shade and the weather here as of now probably helps too. I love it.

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

For the sake of accuracy I'd like to reiterate that Endless Summer is not a plant but rather a registered trademark used to promote several different hydrangea cultivars.

Here is a link that might be useful: The First hydrangeas that bloom all season long : Endless Summer® Collection