Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Arborvitae Spacing to Fence

Posted by Nightshade3D IL (My Page) on
Sun, May 5, 13 at 20:47

Hello,

I'm a new homeowner and am looking for some advice on what was my first major yard project (or possibly yard mistake). I was/am trying to create a screen between my yard and road that runs along the side of it, so I planted 15 emerald green arborvitae as a hedge. They are spaced 4 four apart and 30 inches in from my 4 foot high picket fence.

Now that I'm done, I'm starting to worry that the arbs are too close to the fence. So now I'm looking for second opinions. Are they too close? If so, how far back should they be planted? If I need to move them, should I do it now, or wait 'till fall? They have been planted over the last two weekends, so some have been in the ground for two weeks and others just got planted today.

Thanks for the help

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Arborvitae Spacing to Fence

Nightshade,
I would move them in the fall. Emerald green grow really slow, so for now they should be alright.
They say 4 feet in circumference.
So, if you plant the tree in the hole, imagine a four feet circle all around it in every direction.
Do you know what I mean?
So when you transplant them, which you have to do if it is only 30 inches to the fence, when you dig one out, move it 4 feet from the fence, and 4 feet in every direction.
From the base of the trunk of the arborvitae.
That is your starting point.
Oh, and mulch real good, they aren't established yet.

o

Someday you will need to paint/stain/wash/replace that fence.
Leave room to work.

And it's not as if they will magically stop growing when they reach a certain size.

o

I think a previous poster meant a 4' diameter (spread), not circumference :-) At any rate, a 4' spread means the plant only grows approximately 24" in any given direction so you should be OK for the time being. Personally, I would not have the slightest concern about these planted at that distance and leaving them in place is far better than the trauma of moving them. And these plants can be sheared as well to keep them to a more narrow or hedge-like profile.

FWIW, plants DO slow growth dramatically once they reach their genetic potential, provided they are not overstimulated with water and fertilization. One of the better features of the tree in question is its extremely uniform growth habit and growth rate - 12-15' tall and 3-4' wide. Yes, it can get bigger but typically not routinely and if it does, it will do so very slowly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here