Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garnet69

Need suggestions for Garden (pic)

garnet69
12 years ago

We had our front entry relandscaped last year and I now have a small raised bed on one side of my steps. There used to be a large cedar growing in that spot. I have one corner of the bed where I want to plant something in a container but I need some suggestions. I was leaning towards a Hosta or a dwarf evergreen but am not sure what would work best in this spot.

I appreciate any and all suggestions. (I have also posted this in the Perennials and Container Gardening Forums)

Thanks,

Garnet

{{gwi:32423}}

Comments (9)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

in that small pot.. morning glory ...

ken

• Iris GW
    12 years ago

Yes, I would look for something with a little height. You can often find plants just labeled as "spike", they are sold as annuals around here and are often used just for height in a container.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    12 years ago

If that's the container you intend to use, I'd go with something more seasonal as well. It's a bit small for any kind of long term planting. You could do a hosta if you like, but I'd consider planting it out into the garden next spring. Same with any other type of perennial or shrub, etc. - not enough room for long term growth. There is also an issue of how to deal with the container in winter, if you live in a colder zone

Some height is a good idea as well. If not an annual vine, then there are a good number of seasonal plants that will put on some reasonable vertical growth.

• duluthinbloomz4
    12 years ago

For that pot - I'd take esh's suggestion and get a "spike" (Dracaena)... it'll fan out and reach the floor of the porch by summer's end. Put in a geranium to match your other potted geraniums; add a sweet potato vine for the "spiller" as well.

It can be a little mini garden changed from year to year as different color schemes grab you. Spike goes with anything and everything.

• garnet69
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone for your input. While I do like Dracaena, I find it overused so I think I'll go with a different annual to provide height. I don't want to use the railing since it will be replaced this year but I do need some height. Would have loved to have a hosta there but don't have the time to search out the perfect one for that spot. I may just go with annuals this year and use our long cold winters to figure out something more permanent, maybe a larger pot too. I did see some Gaura (an annual in my zone) at a nursery that grows 3ft tall and blooms all summer. Perhaps I'll have a second look at that.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Always appreciated.

Garnet

• ademink
    12 years ago

Don't rule out using a perennial in your "annual" pots. You can easily transplant it in the yard in the Fall or give it away if you don't have a spot for it. It will cost you no more than annuals usually.

I have used pieris, azalea, boxwood, and a bazillion other small shrubs in my pots...perennial plants of all sorts. It opens you up to many more options!

If you have a local Walmart, they have some huge euphorbia varieties right now that have incredible foliage for only about 8 dollars!

• jcalhoun
    12 years ago

A really small dwarf conifer would look nice.

• garnet69
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions ademink. I have used perennials in pots. In fact I have a very nice combination of columbine, liatris and coral bells in a pot. The columbine grew there from some stray seeds so I left it and added other plants. I would love to do another combination that would work like that. I found a pic online with a combination planting that included a Stained Glass hosta. Now that is something I'd like to replicate.

• prairiegirlz5
    12 years ago

Hosta can be very expensive but over time they fill in and cover a lot of ground. It looks like you have a couple varieties of hosta already planted in the ground, so you may not have room for a potted plant in the long term. I would just plant annuals there, either in the pot or in the ground, for seasonal color. OTOH I have an azalea 'Rosebud' with baby pink flowers in a huge pot that has done very well for me.