Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
can i prune dwarf crape myrtle?

Posted by trishalove washington dc (My Page) on
Sun, May 4, 14 at 21:38

My dwarf crape myrtles are bigger than I would like. They are about five feet and planted in a border now taking over my other shrubs. I would like to cut them back some but worried about stunting blooms. I planted them probably 7 years ago. I've never trimmed them but have noticed they don't flower as profusely as before. There is very little info on the web regarding pruning dwarfs. I have seen to prune after flowering, winter, and/or early spring. It is now first week of may in Washington DC (7a?7b?). I see some new green leaves just recently. Is it too late? Should I wait? Will I be trimming off flowers? THANKS!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: can i prune dwarf crape myrtle?

pruning is pruning.. there would not be different rules for a dwarf .. there should be lots of info online about such ...

the usual default.. is to trim after you enjoy the flowers ...

or before if you simply cant stand it anymore.. lol ..

some pix would sure get you better .. more specific info

ken

o

Yes, I wish I would have pruned them last summer after they flowered. I did read an article that stated pruning a dwarf myrtle was much different than pruning a myrtle tree. Even described to what point on the branches to trim them back (back to the branches that are pencil sized). But it said to trim in winter. So I am just concerned I won't have any flowers this summer if I trim them. I guess I will just see what happens.

o

All crapes bloom on new wood, so I wouldn't think it would be much a problem to prune them now. The dwarfs do tend to bloom late though, and likely your blooming would be delayed a bit more from pruning. But if you need to prune it, you need to prune it.

Are they leafing out yet?

o

Ditto to what dave just said. They don't start forming their flower buds until much after the foliage has grown out. I would also prune now to the shape you want them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here