Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need advice for shrubs along driveway

Posted by Neenerz none (My Page) on
Sat, May 17, 14 at 22:02

I have a neighbor who keeps an untidy yard, so I'd like to plant some shrubs along the side of my driveway to help block some of his yard from view. Does anyone have some advice for what to plant?

I live in Northern Virginia and I would like something that is evergreen. I don't need anything too tall, maybe up to about 4 ft in height; I only have about 5 ft width from the edge of my driveway to the property line. I'd prefer a plant that is fast growing and low maintenance.

I was thinking boxwoods, but I've never cared for boxwoods before. Are they high maintenance or prone to disease?

Thanks for your help and suggestions!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need advice for shrubs along driveway

There are a great many evergreen plants that would meet your needs in your zone. Go to a good local nursery and ask for some advice--not a big box store.

o

nothing will magically stop growing at some given height...

depending on what you choose.. eventually.. you will be shearing it.. two or 3 times per year ... due to your restricted space.. and presuming you will not let it overgrow their property ...

and dont forget... that a car parked on the drive.. needs 3 to 4 feet.. to swing the door open and get in and out of the car.. that means.... you will be planting.. a foot or two.. from the lot line ... and that means.. a pruning/shearing nightmare ...

what about a wood fence???

ken

o

viburnums...green in summer not in winter. or rhododendrons, daphnephylum, slow growing conifers.

o

I understand that I will need to shear whatever I plant there, but I don't want to choose a plant that naturally grows to >20 ft in height and constantly hack at it with hedge trimmers. By low maintenance, I meant an evergreen that is resistant to disease, pests (including deer), and our sometimes harsh summers and winters.

My HOA doesn't allow fences on the front elevation of the house. Plus, I think a green hedge would be prettier. :)

Thanks for the suggestion of Viburnum, I'll look into that!

o

dont forget to park the car over on the edge of the drive.. and swing the door open... and figure out.. exactly how much space you really have ...

good luck

ken

o

Possibly Dwarf Burford holly -- kept judiciously pruned might meet your need. I would think you'd want something EVERGREEN for year-round screening. Deer have left mine alone, but deer are different in every area.

'Conoy' viburnum is a really handsome evergreen variety that can be maintained smaller with pruning maybe twice a season.

o

How about a Woodward Globe Arborvitae?

I have one and it's really nice....also, they are very tough. With all of the burning on conifers this past winter, I don't have any problems with these!

Here's a link to the conifer forum discussing hedges...notice Wisconsitom's comments.

For something more narrow, there's also the Fineline Buckthorn that gets about 2' wide, 6' tall. Non invasive.

Other non-conifer ideas: Fothergilla or Ogon Spirea...google Margaret Roach's blog ...I think she discusses both of these shrubs which don't need much care at all and get to about 5', although I'm still trying to get the "real user" height info on my Fothergilla Blue Shadow.

Here is a link that might be useful: conifer hedge discussion

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here