Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how fast does red twig dogwood grow?

Posted by gfult 6 (My Page) on
Tue, May 13, 08 at 22:05

I ordered Arctic Fire from Bluestone. I should have known by the price but I didn't realize that it would be just a tiny little thing in a 3 inch pot.
How long will it take to turn into a real "shrub"?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how fast does red twig dogwood grow?

Everything I order from Bluestone gets potted-up for a year or two before planting, especially shrubs.

o

So not what I wanted to hear. I just received five shrubs from Bluestone with plans to plant in about a week. Admittedly they are small, about 8-10 inches tall. If I plant them now, their chance of survival is non-existant, is that right?

o

They grow like weeds for me (but in a good way.) I would definitely put them in the ground now and enjoy them. Those roots will establish very quickly, and they are very winter hardy.

I have several varieties I bought from various online sources, and they all came as a rooted twig. The first year they will put on a little growth, a lot more the next year, and soon you'll be rooting your own cuttings and moving suckers.

I have one that was a gallon from Walmart that is 4 years old. It is about 15 feet high and as wide.

Put them in.

o
RE: how fast?

Also I meant to say that there is very little question about their chances for survival. I have never had one die on me. I even rooted a cutting last September and it is putting on new growth in a holding bed now (not in a pot). It couldn't have had many roots at all before the hard freeze, and it is fine.

Yours have all season to establish. I am certain they will be fine.

o

Wow, thanks for all of the responses!

o

I just received two arctic sun and one arctic fire from garden crossings and circle h growers and have the same issue; the shrubs are no more than 3" tall with one looking like it'll barely make it.

What's the best way to ensure that these will thrive, and how fast do they typically grow (I had planned these to be foundation plantings now, which obviously isn't going to happen for a while).

o

My red twig dogwood are at least 10 years old - were doing great until I moved them and they did OK the first year after the move (get at least 6 hrs. sun), and I do water them. Last yr. they were spindly and few leaves so I cut them way back. Now they really look bad - as in not recovering. What could be wrong? Everything I have read is about how easy they are to grow. Perhaps someone can tell me how fast they will grow to recovery or should I buy new ones?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here