Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sambucus 'Black Lace'

Posted by brandyray Coastal NC/8a (My Page) on
Mon, May 3, 10 at 22:23

Hello;
Anybody have Sambucus 'Black Lace'? I live in zone 8 and I notice the catalog now lists this shrub as being for zone 4-7. Is it going to be too hot here? Also, my yard is all sand- hard for a plant to get enough moisture. Would it be better if I put it in some shade? If you have one of these, are you happy w/ it? How long have you had it and how big is it? (You know how it is, garden companies push this plant or that one for its dramatic looks, then it turns out it doesn't look that good or it has some other major flaw- like being delicate...) Thanks, Brandyray

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sambucus 'Black Lace'

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Mon, May 3, 10 at 23:05

If other black elderberry are grown there this should too. But it is not likely to like dry, thin soil. Like other elders, when suited it shoots right up.

o

Thank you, bboy. It sounds like I need to move it to nearer one of my tended gardens. I don't know of other elderberries here.
The description said it grows to 6 ft tall and 6-8 ft wide...I wonder if it would take over the area that I have a couple star hibiscus planted in? I would think the lacy leaves on both and the contrast in leaf colors would be striking. Well, I might try that. Brandyray

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Tue, May 4, 10 at 12:06

A happy one will grow that big in only a few seasons.

o

I'm not in zone 8 but I did plant a couple of these, from 1 gallon containers, two full seasons ago. Last season they were over 6' tall. Probably closer to 7'. This will be their third full season. They are a bit gangly looking in youth but this year their starting to look much fuller. I really like them. Mine are planted in sandy loam, full sun and receive a fair amount of additional watering.

o

Thank you, Alexis. I will have to measure the area- I don't want it to crowd out my star hibiscus. Brandyray

o

Your BL can be trimmed to any size you would like to keep it. They can also be treated like a perennial and cut to the ground each year.

o

You can also use the trimmed branches to make more sambucus. I discovered that they root very easy. My dog stepped on mine and broke some stems I put the broken stems in the moist shade garden and I have 3 new little plants this year.

o

Thank you Molly & marquest. I may decide to plant them by my hibiscus in the middle of my rose garden. And, if I want some more, it's nice to know they are easy to root (expensive to buy). (Funny about that, marquest, I discovered by accident that hibiscus can be divided like a perennial! I think of them as shrubs and I didn't think shrubs could be divided- I was moving mine and I thought I had killed it for sure when the rooted section broke in two, instead I got 2 plants!) Brandyray

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here