Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrsgalihad

Planning a flowering hedge

mrsgalihad
10 years ago

Like the title says I'm working on planning a hedge. I'm thinking I want 5-6 shrubs which will be planted on roughly 10' centers. It's not going to be a formal, straight row.
Right now I'm planning on a Diablo Ninebark, Butterfly Bush and a Mugo Pine so it's not all bare in winter. I'd like a few ideas on other things to include. The area is nearly full sun and the soil is clay but not too heavy.
I don't need lilac as I have more of those than I know what to do with and I have a Snowball Viburnum on the other side of the yard. As much as I love them Rhododendron and Azalea are out. They just don't like the soil and climate here. Would Oakleaf Hydrangea work here do you think?

Comments (9)

• bogturtle
    10 years ago

More modern varieties of butterfly bush come in more dwarf forms. Rhododendrons usually can get huge, as can the Viburnum . My Oakleaf Hydrangea enjoys bright shade and not much direct extended Sun.

• rogerzone6
    10 years ago

Some of the red twig and yellow twig dogwoods would also give you stunning winter interest, especially planted in a row.

• flora_uk
    10 years ago

Have you considered shrub roses? Rose of Sharon (Hibiscus syriacus)? Will they grow in your area?Pyracantha. Chaenomeles. Other Viburnums. Hamamelis. Corylopsis. Golden Currant?

Pinus mugo is quite low - do you want all the other plants to be the same height?

• felisar (z5)
    10 years ago

I think ninebark Diablo gets condsiderably bigger than most butterfly bushes. Ninebark 'Summer Wine' is smaller growing and more compatible size wise with butterfly bushes.

• mrsgalihad
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bogturtle, good to know about Hydrangea and sun. I have one spot that may work. I'll have to watch over the summer to see how sunny it is. Nothing is going to get planted till fall anyway.

Roger, I'll have to look in to the dogwoods a little more. I honestly haven't decided if I like them or not. That may be because I always see them badly sited and mangled or neglected.

Flora, no I hadn't considered shrub roses yet. I will now. I'm looking in to your suggestions since I'm still learning what will grow here. I did pass a Pyracantha hedge yesterday which I wouldn't have noticed except for your suggestion. I have a neighbor with a Rose of Sharon so they will grow here too. I think I have the evening free so I'll look in to your other suggestions a litte more.

Felisa, do you know how the color compares on the two ninebarks? I had a Diablo when I lived in PA and loved the color. I don't think I have seen the Summer Wine in person yet.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. They have gotten me thinking which is exactly what I wanted. I'm not looking for things that are necessarily uniform in size. In fact "hedge" is probably too formal a word for what I am thinking. "Screen" or "Background" might be a better way of putting it. Growing in Denver is a lot different that growing in PA so any comments, suggestions or questions to make me think are appreciated.

• trovesoftrilliums
    10 years ago

We have what I believe to be hydrangea limelight on the west side of our house. It is 6 ft tall and was probably planted 4 years ago. It has done quite well in our heavy clay soil, plenty of sun and little care on my part.

I have an oak leaf hydrangea on the east side of some trees. I believe the oak leaf does well in part shade situations.

• simcan
    10 years ago

Consider Sambucus (elders). A Black Lace and a Sutherland Gold look great together.

• gracie714
    10 years ago

I was just out admiring all the beautiful small white fragrant flowers on my Philadelphus Snowbelle. I planted it last year in the spring and it bloomed and bloomed until Sept/Oct. This year it is full of blooms. Stunning :-)

• lola-lemon
    10 years ago

How bout a rose? Perhaps a rugosa like the muslin rose (blanc double de coubert) or Hansa;

flowering almond;

and depending on your timeline- if you are patient, a tree peony can get very large given the time. There are some to die for tree peonies in my town.