Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
idloveamocha

Comparing two yews: Taunton vs. Densiformis

idloveamocha
9 years ago

I am channeling Ken here... :)

As I've written before, I have several Taunton yews, and one is ailing/mostly dead. At this point, I am thinking it was due to overly wet soil and subsequent root rot. We'll know for sure when I dig it up.

However, I have a nearby area where I want to place some more yews. I have had zero luck so far finding tauntons anywhere. Everyone from the big box stores to the high-end nurseries do not carry them/or have received none. even online nurseries are saying out of stock. One particular clerk said that he thinks tauntons are only mildly hardy in this area--which didn't make sense to me considering I am Zone 5, and they're supposed to be hardy to Zone 4.

So, there is a possibility I may have to go with a different variety. I like the dense, low-growing habit of the taunton. I like the free-form, flexible branches.
The clerk recommended densiformis. I've been looking at pictures, and they do seem similar. The only difference I've seen is growth rate, with the densiformis growing more slowly.

Can anyone shed light on these two? Any opinion either way?
One last thing: I need something that is pretty resistant to winter burn.