Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
two different doublefiles?

Posted by idabean 5A (My Page) on
Sat, May 1, 10 at 23:41

One seems to have slightly smaller flowers about a week from full flower and no suckers at all. It was planted about 7 or 8 years ago.

The second, in slightly more shade planted about 5 years ago, has slightly larger flowers which are a bit further along and several straight thick suckers at the base.

It could be just normal variation. What is the difference between Maresii and Shasta?Could I have two different doublefiles?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
Could be.....

Some searching turned up this.

Viburnum plicatum tomentosum 'Mariesii' - An improved Doublefile form. Flowers are slightly larger and tend to have heavier crops of berries. Habit is slightly more compact.
One of mine has larger berries and is more compact, although I have attributed that to difference in age of plants This is the same one that is suckering.

Viburnum plicatum tomentosum 'Shasta' - Another form which grows much wider than tall. Grows to 6-7' tall and 10-12' wide or more. Performs very well in full shade where other Viburnums tend to decline

o
some more information

Viburnum plicatum var tomentosum : Doublefile Viburnum [both above]
I WOULD this sometimes, can get kinda large, so pick small sized cultivars. Some including Mariesii are not sterile, be careful with this one. Some, including Shasta are sterile and wont spread. Great bird food.
USE FOR .. elegant, strong architecture, fatastic blooms both pom poms and landing pads depending on cultivar.
HARDINESS .. zones 3 to 7, perfect for Mid-Atlan

o
suckering vs. flower steriliy

Does a plant's tendency to sucker have anything to do with with it's reported non-sterility? Does the rootstock and habit have anything to with sterility which refers to the flowers?

o
RE: two different doublefiles?

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Wed, May 5, 10 at 1:35

Multiple cultivars have been selected, there's more than just the two.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here