Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Watering a Langamans Rio Bravo Shrub

Posted by brambi24 8a (My Page) on
Thu, May 10, 12 at 23:43

So we live in southern Arizona, in the Sonoran desert. It gets around 100+ degrees here and rains off and on from June to around September. We just purchased 9 langamans rio bravo sage bushes (Kind of like Texas sage but different). I can't seem to find anything about this shrub on line. I need to know how much and how often to water this bush. They all came in a two gallon container and is apparently drought tolerant once established. Everything I'm finding online says it a low water or very low water shrub, but what does low water/very low water mean? Do I water them every 4, 8, 10 days etc. until it's established? From what the nursery says, it will only need water every 2 weeks once it's established. But how much until then? There seems to be alot of these bushes planted in my area but no one can give me any answers.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Watering a Langamans Rio Bravo Shrub

Can't tell you how much or how often - that depends entirely on YOUR soil conditions and the weather. For the first growing season you will have to physically monitor the soil surrounding the shrub as well as the appearance of the shrub itself and water slowly and deeply as the need arises. Sorry to be so non-specific, but it is impossible to be more precise. You cannot rely on a prescribed timetable, as very sandy, freely draining soil will require much more frequent watering than a more organically enriched, moisture retentive soil. It doesn't sound like the shrub needs a lot of water but good establishment will be encouraged if the soil remains just evenly moist.

I've linked an info sheet about your shrub.

Here is a link that might be useful: Leucophyllum langmaniae

o
RE: Watering a Langamans Rio Bravo Shrub

watering is an art NOT A SCIENCE.. ergo.. there are no schedules ...

water deeply and thoroughly ... thru the whole root zone.. mulch properly.. and then do NOT water again.. until your index finger.. inserted to the 2nd knuckle.. indicates the soil is dry or hot ... whether that is 2 days.. 2 weeks or 2 months.. only you can figure it out ...

as gal said.. how that all works.. in your area.. in your yard.. in your soil.. is for you to figure out .. only a fool could give you any better answer.. than your finger ...

a true gardener does not have a green thumb.. but rather.. a brown index finger from checking dampness ...

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here