Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Abelia kaleidoscope

Posted by kathysig1 6 (My Page) on
Tue, May 6, 14 at 23:45

My abelia kaleidoscopes were partially winter killed. Some leaves are coming back but. There are bare branches. Should I wait until fall or late winter to cut them back or can I do it now?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Abelia kaleidoscope

i am having a very slow spring.. stuff is going on a week or two late ...

but i can not tell you about your area ..

regardless.. when you are sure those parts are dead ... there is no proper season to remove them ... just track back to a fork in a branch with live leaves.. and prune out ...

this is all superficial damage.. with no insult to the root mass... it should fill back in nicely .. given time... whatever that may be ..

and it does not matter what the shrub is ... its a general rule.. rather than specific to some certain plant ... dead is dead ...

ken

o

You can do it now. Abelia is semi-evergreen even under the best of conditions and always shows a bit of winter damage. I just pruned mine back this past weekend. New growth was beginning to flush out along many stems but there was a lot of dead tips :-))

o

Thank you for your response

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here