Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ssly3333

What's killing my Boxwood shrubs in sections?

ssly3333
11 years ago

I'm getting dead boxwood sections destroyed hollowed-out trunk of sections of my boxwood shrub. I have been trying for years to figure out what insects or disease are destroying many sections of my boxwood shrub causing large sections to die out.

Today I tore off part of the trunk of one dead section and found that the trunk disintegrated in my hand because it was dead and hollowed out. When I placed it on the cement, out came a hundred ants pulling out their larvas trying to save them. Are ants destroying my boxwood shrub? A guy at Home Depot thought it was mites, and I sprayed all my shrubs for mites, but it hasn't helped.

Please let me know you know what's causing this. I didn't know ants killed plants, and one should I do about it?

In addition, a section where my boxwood died, I planted a new Boxwood shrub that was about 2 feet tall about a month ago, and it's now just about dead completely. What did I do wrong? It got plenty of water and sun, and I surrounded it with lots of store-bought soil mixed with some hummus. I don't think the bugs got to it yet. It just seemed to have not made it and shriveled up.

Thank you so much for your forth-coming advice.

Comments (3)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

need some pix ....

but i have to say.. a lot of us gave up on this problem plant a long time ago ... you ought to consider such ...

if they keep dying.. why do you keep replanting the same thing???

this might be indicative of what happens.. when you plant too many of the same thing.. some little problem multiplies itself in to a nightmare ...

i doubt the ants are the primary cause ... unless they are not ants ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: how to post pix

• sam_md
    11 years ago

assuming that you are talking about English Box, check out this FAQ page from the Nat'l Arboretum. Look for Boxwood Decline.

Here is a link that might be useful: USNA Boxwood page

• MollyDog
    11 years ago

The second boxwood sounds like not enough water. Was the rootball moist when planted? If the rootball is dry when planted, it is very difficult to actually get it wet. Deep watering ievery few days is much better for the development of deep roots. Many people believe standing there with a hose for a few minutes is sufficient.

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus