Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
star_stuff

Need Dense Fast-Growing Evergreen for Long Formal Hedge in NC

star_stuff
12 years ago

Hi everyone! I will be planting a long formal hedge here in central North Carolina. Here are the parameters:

Dense

Evergreen

Fast-growing

Cheap

Medium green to dark green color

Tolerates dry conditions

Will be in solid red clay soil

Will be formally pruned

Frequent regular pruning is no problem

I have considered the below plants (but the slow growth rates of some would be a problem):

Ligustrum ovalifolium (privet)

Ilex aquifolium (holly)

Taxus baccata (yew)

Buxus sempervirens (boxwood)

I am open to any & all suggestions, of specific cultivars please. Kind thanks!

Caroline

Comments (15)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

how long is long???..

and why not diversify???

ken

• Iris GW
    12 years ago

And how tall?

• star_stuff
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It will be approximately 180 feet long and approximately five feet tall. We need a very traditional formally pruned hedge to act as a fence. An evergreen ground cover will be planted on the outer side of the hedge to spill over the small slope which runs in front of the entire length of the hedge. Everything will be regularly pruned. It will have an iron gate at the entrance which opens to a long brick or stone path. The soil for the whole thing is rock-hard solid red clay. I live in a historic 160-year-old Greek Revival/Italianate home. Traditional Boxwood is our first choice if it wasn't such a slow grower. Many thanks!

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    12 years ago

Objectively define what is 'slow growing' then look again at the boxwood. Even here, in a fairly boxwood unfriendly zone, something like Green Mountain isn't at all out of the question. Yew, OTOH, can grow like a weed once established.

• viburnumvalley
    12 years ago

Viburnum x pragense will do what you request, though you will be challenged to restrict it to five feet tall.

• Iris GW
    12 years ago

Why not Ilex crenata (small-leaved japanese holly)?

• star_stuff
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Some good suggestions, thank you.

In addition to growth rate, the other major concern is cost. We need something very economical.

We're leaning towards ilex or ligustrum, but not sure about specific varieties. Still researching...

• Iris GW
    12 years ago

Ligustrum is listed as an invasive plant in NC so it would nice to add any more to the inventory. Of course I know you intend to prune it so that would theoretically keep the berries off (which is the invasive issue), but you never know what the next owner would do.

Ilex handles hedging very well, especially Ilex crenata (like 'Helleri').

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

link to musser forests page for plants by use ...

you want a fast.. 180 foot hedge.. for little or no money.. that stays within a restricted size .. lol ... good luck with that.. lol

start small ...

and dont forget to diversify ... there is no reason you have to have 180 feet of one plant .. no matter what kind of house it is ...

and technically.. 'hedge' means nothing in the plant world... you are wanting a screen ... in other words.. check the further link to deciduous screens ... unless you want evergreen etc ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• flora_uk
    12 years ago

Would Viburnum tinus 'Eve Price' grow in your area? If trimmed correctly you would also get winter flowers and dark blue berries later on. Same goes for Pyracantha -both are used for evergreen formal hedging here.

• subtropix
    12 years ago

I second the suggestion on Ilex crenata--it really looks like boxwood and is easily trimmed. I find it's growth moderate. I have one large specimen and it seems always to need a haircut. There are other species of Ilex (Holly). Some of them native to your area (Ilex vomitoria)--but not sure of its growth rate. Photinia "red tip" grows very fast but I understand they suffer some kind of fungal problems in the South--especially when grown close together. I'm sure there are many possibilities for plants but the ones I have used for formal hedges include azaleas, Photinias, holly, boxwood, and Euonymous japonica.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    12 years ago

Will this get full sun?

Dwarf Burford Holly is the first thing that comes to my mind. It's cheap, cheap at Home Depot or Lowes. Berries are a plus. It's tough and can take heat. It will take a while before it reaches 5 feet, but it will become very dense.

Also consider Fortune's Osthmanthus or Golden Euonymus or Goldspot Euonymus (deer will eat them). Are deer an issue at all?

Both are rather spiny though.

• gardener365
    12 years ago

I have a good suggestion for you:
    Fontanesia fortunei

Dax

• gardener365
    12 years ago

I see Fontanesia fortunei isn't readily available, however, you could contact these folks at the link below to see if they will be offering it again, soon. And, the right price.

Dax

Here is a link that might be useful: Reeseville Ridge Nursery

• botann
    12 years ago

I think Illex crenata, 'Convexa' would make a nice choice if you can find a good price buying in quantity. It takes to trimming very well and will give you the formal look you are looking for.
    Here's some in my garden.
    Bo
    {{gwi:64074}}
    Something bit off a few of Aero's toes. I don't know what it was, but it was BIG!
    Bo and Aero