Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katrina1_gw

was I wrong to purchase some compact oregon grape holly

katrina1
16 years ago

Found only one nursery in the local area which had some compact oregon grape holly in stock. I was looking for them to plant at the feet of some 'Blue Satin' hibiscus.

Most of the Japanese and Chinese holly that are more commonly planted around town have smaller leaves than I want for that bed which also has a De groot's Spire on each end of the bed standing like exclamation points.

Since the fan shape leaves on the DG Spires are so drastically different from the hibiscus leaf shape; I wanted a larger and more droopy leaf holly to plant in the same bed with the DG Spires. That along with their shorter more compact growth pattern is what first attracted me to the oregon grape holly.

Is that a bad choice on my part?

At the nursery today, when I asked one of the workers there to show me where I could find these holly, the worker commented that very few people come to purchase their oregon grape holly.

My first response to that statement was to suggest that might be because most local nurseries did not sell that holly, and most local people are not familiar enough with it to even know if they would want one for their yard.

Now though, I am wondering if I was wrong, and if there are some negative aspects about the oregon grape holly that keeps more people from seeking it to purchase.

I am also wondering why more local landscapers are not suggesting it and creating more of a demand for it in their landscape beds they design.

Comments (21)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    16 years ago

The Oregon Grape Holly is not a holly at all, but a Mahonia. It is not even remotely related to hollies, but belong in the same family as barberry. Confusing?

Mistaking it for a holly 'might' allow you to think that you can plant it in the same kind of location that hollies prefer. In fact, all Mahonia species prefer full to partial shade.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    16 years ago

As a west coast native plant, it may not be as widely distributed, therefore as widely known, in other areas of the country. West coast conditions are difficult to duplicate in other areas, so the success of this choice of plant could be up for some discussion. Factors which could affect its success include soil pH, summer humidity (it is prone to some fungal issues), inadequate rainfall or severe winter cold, causing foliage damage or dieback. Acidic soils, organically rich and moisture retentive, and a fair amount of shade (specially from hot afternoon sun) are most desireable. It is also a suckering plant typically sold as a groundcover here, unlike true hollies.

• Iris GW
    16 years ago

The native one is Mahonia aquifolium, there is a non native one that is considered a pest in some locations. The non native one is Mahonia bealei.

As for people not purchasing it, I imagine it is because people don't know about it.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    16 years ago

Mahonia aquifolium, nervosa and repens are all native to various areas of the west coast and are commonly referred to as Oregon grape, Oregon grape holly, compact OR grape or creeping OR grape. There's a few more US native species but they are far less common, both in cultivation and in the trade. But that barely puts a dent into the 70 or so total species of Mahonia and countless hybrids, few of which are commonly referred to as Oregon grape or OR grape holly as their origins are quite remote from Oregon :-) And many not so compact, either.

• Iris GW
    16 years ago

Yes, I was referring to what seem to be common in the trade (especially out here in the east). Since Katrina said "compact" it probably is one of the others.

Katrina, is the scientific name on the tag?

• katrina1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sorry that I neglected to list this in my above question.

The shrub in question is called a Mahonia aquifdium 'Compacta'

They are in 3.5 gallon, deep pots that have the Monrovia logo on them. The tag indicates that they grow 2-3 feet tall and 3-4 feet wide.

I got them to plant in the front of a southern facing foundation bed, which does get generous amounts of noonday and afternoon into evening shade cast onto the house and front yard caused by the west side neighbor's multi trunked, overgrown 15 to 20 year or so old maple tree.

Thanks for all the helpful and any future comments, which will help me give them the best care possible.

I did not know it was not a true form of holly. They currently have what appears to be light blue berries on them, and those led me to believe that if it is commonly called a compact Oregon Grape Holly; it must be some form of Holly. Will the berries stay hard like holly berries, or are they only like that now so early in the year. If not, do they swell and grow to be juicy like a grape?

I am happy to read that it is not a true holly. Since it is not a true holly, am I correct in thinking that I will not need to be worried about finding a male form of cultivar for it to enable these shurbs to produce blue berries again next year? Or do I need to go back to the nursery and look for one which is not displaying any blue berries and plant it in another location close by to ensure these do reproduce berries every year?

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    16 years ago

It is the bloomy, dark blue fruits held in clusters that gives rise to the common name of Oregon grape or grape holly. They are very persistant, often remaining in the plant until well into late fall/early winter but they do not become fat and juicy like grapes. I'm sure they offer some sort of wildlife attraction but I'm not specific on what that might be.

And you don't need a male and female plant. Unlike true hollies, the flowers are unisexual ('perfect') and contain both male and female parts, therefore the plants are self-fertile.

• katrina1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

gardengal48, thanks for your latest reply. Sounds really good. I am so glad to find out that the shrubs will fruit on their own, and that I will not have to hunt down for a pollinator plant and a place for it, also, to grow.

The collection of information responses I have received all give me hope that I was not wrong to purchase these shrubs.

Thanks again for all the help

• flora_uk
    16 years ago

Gardengal says "I'm sure they offer some sort of wildlife attraction but I'm not specific on what that might be." These shrubs were much used in Victorian times in pheasant coverts in this country. They are not much planted these days though as they are considered rather dull, compared with other Mahonias, such as 'Charity' which has longer, more impressive leaves and long racemes of beautifully scented flowers in mid-winter. I'm not sure that I would plant M aquifolium in a prominent place at all given the huge variety of more attractive shrubs available. They are generally just used as 'fillers'. Maybe that is why the nursery person said there was not much demand for them. As to whether you were 'wrong' to buy them that depends entirely on two things. 1. Do you like them? 2. Will they grow for you? It's your garden.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mahonia Charity

• katrina1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

flora uk, i needed a cultivar that did not grow taller than 3 feet and spread 4 feet, or at least with very little pruning be kept at that height. They are to be planted at the feet of three 'Blue Satin' hardy hibiscus tree form.

I did wonder if their flowers would be too small or hidden to be noticed without the viewer having to be very close to even see them. Thanks for the suggestion of the improved cultivar 'Charity.' It certainily does sound like a cultivar worth my time for me to research more.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    16 years ago

'Charity' is not a cultivar of Oregon grape (M. aquifolium, nervosa or repens). It is a hybrid upright Mahonia (cross between M. lomarifolia and japonica), growing as tall as 6-8 feet, perhaps taller and with very long leaflets. It's as different a plant in appearance and habit from compact OR grape as a Japanese maple is to a sugar maple - same genus but a waaaayy different plant.

Katrina, if your mahonias are planted at the front of the border or planting area, the flowers should be quite obvious when they appear. It is a suckering shrub by habit so limiting the spread will need attention.

• flora_uk
    16 years ago

I did not intend to imply that Charity was a cultivar of M aquifolium, only that I thought it gave more bang for your buck if that was the sort of shrub you want. It is easy to keep within bounds by pruning. There are a lot around here so I am very familiar with it and with M aquifolium.

• OKMoreh
    16 years ago

Katrina, Oregon grape (Mahonia aquifolium) has an edible fruit - James Beard wrote in one of his books that they used to be harvested in the wild in Oregon and shipped to San Francisco! That would be the attraction to wildlife.

If you're in Oklahoma, I think M. aquifolium, any variety, would need to be in more shade the sun, as it is native to a cooler, cloudier climate.

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

>Acidic soils, organically rich and moisture retentive, and a fair amount of shade (specially from hot afternoon sun) are most desireable"Occurs in maritime to submaritime summer-dry cool mesothermal climates on very dry to moderately dry, nitrogen-medium soils; its occurrence decreases with increasing latitude, elevation, and precipitation. Most frequent on exposed mineral soil of recently cleared and burnt, water-shedding sites. Characteristic of disturbed, moisture-deficient sites."

--Indicator Plants of Coastal British Columbia

'Compacta' is a nice cultivar, with distinctive habit and leaf shape.

• garden4510
    16 years ago

Just thought I would add my 2 cents worth. I really like Compact Oregon Grape Holly. Flora_uk makes it sound boring, and most likely in wonderful garden areas like the UK and the Pacific Nortwest it is a boring, filler-type plant. Choices are more limited in the Old South, and the
    Hybrid Mahonia 'Charity' either doesn't like it here, or more likely, just hasn't caught on yet here. Landscape contractors are amazingly "stuck in the mud". By that I mean stuck in their old ways, and reticent to try anything new, and they drive availabilty around here. I think they have driven down availabilty of Compact Oregon Grape Holly here too.
    Its foliage is beautiful to me. The birds enjoy the fruit, but it is pretty while it lasts. Its major downfall, IMO, is that it should be cut back hard after the fruit is gone, to keep it from getting leggy and mangled-looking. 'Compacta' addresses that downfall, and thus is much better than plain Mahonia aquifolium, but is still not immune to mangled twisted legginess. Therefore I think ignorance as to how to prune it has resulted in some lack of popularity here. Not in Oklahoma, Katrina1, but here in Georgia, again IMO, the soil is a little too acid, yes I said acid, and Compact Oregon Grape Holly would do better with a little lime to tone that down. Just my opinion; the best beds I have seen of it are in more alkaline soils.
    Right now Georgia and the Southeast are in the worst drought I have ever seen, and Compact Oregon Grape Holly is just the type of plant we should be looking at using because, once established, you can turn off the irrigation to it during regular Georgia weather.
    One more thing, the warmer and more coastal-plain that you go from the Fall Line cities like Atlanta, Charlotte, and Birmingham, the more you should try Mahonia pinnata, the California Grape Holly. It is quite tough, and heat-tolerant, and almost as pretty. But alas, nigh-on impossible to find in a nursery.
    So bottom-line, Katrina1, if your site is shaded by a maple as you say, I think you made a good choice for Oklahoma.

• edlincoln
    11 years ago

I'll relate my experiences with the plant.

Years ago I purchased what I thought was a holly tree at a Christmas decorations store. It was decorated with fake red holly berries attached by wire. I was told this "breed of it couldn't survive the New England winters.

I planted it outside in a location where it gets full sun. (I was misinformed about what it was.) It has survived and grown huge, although the leaves are usually "burned" with some browning. I never got berries until this year (leading me to think it was a male holly tree).

This year it had a few berries, and I discovered it was an Oregon grape Holly.

It's leaves are beautiful, edged with white.

It survived in this wildly wrong location (which is something) but did usually look sick.

I will have to take exception to those who claim it is self fertile.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    11 years ago

It is self fertile, but grown under more challenging conditions it would not be unusual for your shrub to not set fruit.

Here is a link that might be useful: osu-edu

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    11 years ago

I'd suspect edlincon's plant is not a grape holly (Mahonia) but some form of true holly (Ilex). While there are a few variegated cultivars of Mahonia - still rather uncommon - they do not have distinct white (or cream, gold, etc.) edges but light streaking on the leaves.

Ilex aquifolium is of marginal hardiness in zone 6 but should survive under most conditions. Mahonia is tough as nails and M. aquifolium will tolerate zone 4. The Ilex is NOT self fertile, however IME a male pollinator does not need to be all that close by to produce berries. Easy way to tell if an Ilex rather than a Mahonia - Mahonias produce bluish-purple berries while Ilex berries are red, orange or rarely, white.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:260534}}

• edlincoln
    11 years ago

Gardengal48: Sorry to go off topic here. The person who planted the mystery holly it said it was Oregon Hollly. I planted a "Blue Prince" nearby and it produced no berries the first year. This year it did produce a handful of yellow-orange berries.

It does look exactly like what you described, though.

• jimbobfeeny
    11 years ago

I've seen Oregon Grape used down by Knoxville, TN, in shade gardens - It actually is an outstanding plant, if protected from harsh winter winds and scorching sunlight.

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

Hi edlincoln - I don't quite follow what you are saying in your latest post but the picture you have put up definitely shows a cultivar of Ilex aquifolium, a true holly, not Mahonia aquifolium aka Oregon Grape 'Holly'.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES