Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how and when to root a Dwarf Oregon Grape cutting

Posted by katrina1 OK 6b/7a (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 20, 10 at 2:37

After planting two dwarf Oregan grape shrubs a few years ago, some workmen damaged one of them, and later it died.

The one that they did not damage has established well and is thriving nicely.

The only local garden center where I first found these two shrubs does not offer them anymore, so now I am wondering how well cuttings from my remaining Dwarf Oregan Grape, would survive. I am also wondering what part of the year I should take the cutting and try to root it, plus wondering even how I should attempt to root the cutting.

Can anyone help me with some detailed advice and instruction concerning my question?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how and when to root a Dwarf Oregon Grape cutting

Cuttings are difficult from Mahonia and done with fall cuttings with 3k ppm IBA dip under mist with warm bottom heat.

Dan

o

Thanks for the help Dan. One other question, I need help with. Since in the past I have seem a lot of propagating failure at the point just after I have managed to get my cuttings to root.

So since my Mahonia cuttings will need to be cut this fall from this years growing season's hardened off wood, and since they will have been so difficut to root; could anyone please advise me on how to mix up the potting soil I will need to prepare for planting any of the cuttings that sprout?

Also, if the answer to that is a soil-less mixture like periolite or something else similar, How will I know when they will needed to be transplanted into regular potting soil? Or would it be better not to transplant them into potting soil, but instead to simply plant them outside in a southern facing landscape bed?

o

Generally rooting is done in sand, or a mix of perlite-sand or other filler medium and sand. You'll want to transfer to a pot with a medium of very coarse constituents. UC Davis used to have a list of their media mixes, but a quick search of The Google can't find it, but their greenhouse ops programs are among the best.

Dan

o

Thanks for the additional info Dan.

I do understand your info of using the perlite-sand or other filler medium sand, and the need for me to determine what medium course constituents mix I will need.

But am unclear about the greenhouse program. Are you saying that it is better for me greenhouse the rooted cutting once it is transplanted; instead of letting the transplant go dormant enough to overwinter it still potted but sunk into the ground outside?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here