Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shade Shrub as Hedge/Topiary?

Posted by onthebrinck 6 Central New Jersey (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 12, 13 at 3:15

I have a small plot of earth near my kitchen door which up til now was occupied by a dense boxwood that was shaped to be 5' wide, 2' deep and 8' tall --- the boxwood was trained to grow that shape against the brick wall of the adjoining garage. Amazingly, this area is in shade or at best, dappled sunshine thru the cherry and maple trees nearby. But since I bought the house 4 years ago the boxwood has been in steady decline despite by best efforts at feeding it and rejuvenation pruning, clumps of branches turned yellow, shriveled and died. I'd like to replace it with something that can be trimmed to fill those same dimensions --- I was considering mountain laurel. Any other suggestions? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shade Shrub as Hedge/Topiary?

I think that the mountain laurel will look a bit sparse trimmed to only 2 feet deep.

I am not sure how Ilex crenata 'Sky Pencil' will do in that much shade.

Hydrangea arborescens could be pruned or tied back to conform to the 2' depth, but will only grow to about 4' tall.

Yews are shade tolerant and don't mind pruning, so a narrow form of yew might work.

You could also try a vine on a tellis or obelisk a bit shorter than your maximum height. Lonicera sempervirens, a native honeysuckle, will grow in some shade.

o

Perhaps there are some Japanese hollies (Ilex crenata) that will fit that space although they will get much more dense with more sun and in shade will need pruning as they will grow more open.

Ilex crenata 'Hetzii', 'Steeds', 'Convexa' are some to look into.

o

Mountain laurel would not like the soil near a cement or masonary foundation. The climbing hydrangea takes a while to become established, but would be lovely.

o

WOW! Thanks guys! I looked at the climbing Hydrangea, and it is indeed perfect. Now if any of you know where I can get a somewhat established one --- surprisingly, even though Monmouth County NJ has many garden centers, I have a hard time finding anything beyond your 'typical garden variety' shrubs. It took me 5 weeks to locate a single Yoshino cherry tree.

o

It will take quite a bit of pruning work to keep a climbing hydrangea under your maximum height. It can get to 60 feet.

o

I should live so long --- lol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here