Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
onthebrinck

Where's the Whining Forum? I Give Up!

onthebrinck
13 years ago

I'm not really giving up ... but boy, this has been a challenging 7 months for gardening in my new house.

I moved in December 1st, and within 3 weeks we had the worst snowfalls anyone in town ever remembered. Half a dozen of the 20' cypress were bent to the ground and 4 snapped. there were 3 branches on this 40' tall cedar each more than 12" in diameter that simply broke and hung there for weeks until I could reach them. Then January featured windstorms with shearing horizontal winds topping 50 mph: I piled branches and debris equivalent to 3 car lengths 4' tall at the curb. The wettest March on record --- 6" of standing water on the patio and the sump pump broke --- whitefly enjoyed it though. Extra sandy topsoil delivered, 50 new shrubs and perennials planted, 500 annuals ... and now 9 days without even a trace of rain --- 4 hours of watering per day to keep the grass from completely dying and the annuals from shriveling to nothing --- everything is barely holding on and certainly nothing is showing new growth.

I am hoping this is just 'paying my dues' for a glorious summer season!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022