Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Primrose Lilac (infamous yellow lilac)

Posted by jgreen8520 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 2, 06 at 7:24

I have bought two of these, so called, Yellow lilacs, much to my disappointment. I was told that it would take a minimum of 5 years for the blooms to turn the "butter yellow". Well, 7 years into it and it was still a single flowered "BRIGHT WHITE", so I bought another one that was guaranteed to be yellow..no color change at all.. umph !! It's now been 13 years and the second one is "BRIGHT WHITE" and so is the first one..........still!!!

Does anybody have or ever seen this so-called, "yellow lilac"? Please, if you know of one, or know someone who actually has one. I sure would like to get a start from it.
jgreen8520@hotmail.com

Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Primrose Lilac (infamous yellow lilac)

My question is where did you buy these lilacs from? Some nurseries are much more reliable and responsible than others. If Klehms, for example, sells a yellow lilac, their guarantee is worth a million times more than, say, Gurneys or Spring Hill.

o

I have one, bought it in a "box" from walmart. It is now 3 years old. about 3-4 ft in height. It bloomed this year for the first time (TONS TONS TONS of flowers)a VERY pale yellow, one would think it was white. But I also have a white lilac next to it, and it is definately not white. So I wonder if I have more years to wait for the "photo shot" of the yellow that you see in catalogs.

o

I've never grown it, but I've read before that it's far more yellow in Europe than it is in the USA.

o

Oh, man.
I bought two, 4 years ago. They've never bloomed, either.
If I remember correctly, I bought from Spring Hill (now owned by Gardens Alive! I think). I gave one to my SIL, who has yet to see blossoms, either.

White? I've dug those up and given them away. Grrrrr...

Christine

o

i bought two from spring hill myself and never has the thing blossomed and that was like 7 years ago.

o

a lot of yellow flowers.. will bleach out to white in full sun ... and yet might be yellow in more shade...

but flowering bushes need full sun to bloom ... real catch 22 ...

look at a globe .. and be startled how far north most of Europe is to most of us.. inclination of the sun will easily fit into the logic .. in other words.. the sun is much more intense here.. and therefore.. a very light yellow might fade to white extremely fast ...

in hosta ... of which i have a few.. there are very few pure white flowers .... almost all have some purple in them .... if grown in full shade.. you can see the purple rather easily ... whereas the same plant.. in full sun.. will look like it has a white flower ... go figure ...

ken

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 29, 08 at 15:48

It's primrose yellow at first, fading later even in our dull climate here.

o

Try this link: Hulda Klager Lilac Gardens, Inc. in Woodland, Washington. They have world class lilacs. They are in the middle of their selling season right now. I live near there so don't know if they will ship other areas or not.

o

• Posted by
    Michelle in Maine 5 - 6
    (imshl12@aol.com) on
    Sun, May 22, 11 at 21:41

A million thanks to the previous posters! I had a feeling this yellow lilac was too good to be true and you just saved me from a long wait only to be disappointed!

o

Can I say S@$%!!!! I ordered one from Spring Hill, it will be here this fall. I live in Washington and in what is also called the Lilac City ( Spokane ). Maybe it will do ok things don't get above the 70's here until late June. Maybe that will help me? I had selected a spot in my yard that gets sun most of the day, should I select a different spot?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here