Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Leggy Flowering Almond...idea for front planting.

Posted by cadillactaste zone 5 Ohio (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 18, 14 at 8:04

I planted a flowering almond two years back. It seems to have survived the harsh winter. But, has gotten leggy. I had planted some perennial which I loved it's bloom in front of it. But the husband thought a weed was coming up forgetting I had planted it last year. Pulling it out and tossing it to the wayside. So I am contemplating putting another ground cover rose in the bare spot...since it blooms long. But curious if I should choose another complimentary flower instead.

Suggestions or ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Leggy Flowering Almond...idea for front planting.

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 18, 14 at 22:23

Maybe something light blue - don't know if there is a kind that would fit the bill in the climate and site there but ideally one that was in flower both when the almond was blooming and later when the rose came out.

At any rate the rose definitely needs something light blue, silvery or white variegated near it to tone it down. Something silvery would also go well with the brick.

Maybe some kind of dwarf conifer with silvery or grayish foliage - that would be something that was in color at all times, plus you could probably use something evergreen there anyway since the other two shrubs are not.

o

Maybe some lavender? Though late spring blooming...it would bloom through summer. I will look at all options you mentioned...just google searched blue perennials. That came up.

o

I ended up getting Blue Calamint. Blooms all summer into early fall. Thanks for the suggestion of toning it down.With blues...

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 19, 14 at 19:16

That will be perfect with the rose.

o

I think so too...again...thanks for the suggestion. I am glad I asked. For I was leaning toward just adding another ground cover in the same variety so it looked like a larger clump of roses.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here