Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tolleson Weeping Juniper

Posted by beachgrl7 Ohio (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 17, 14 at 8:26

Please help...my breathtakingly beautiful Tolleson is looking horrible. Last year it had one brown branch I trimmed off...looked okay for the rest of summer. This year many more brown branches. Near is another shrub turning brown as well. Both had Apple cedar rust which we treated a few summers ago. I am trying to come to terms with losing this plant that is my absolute favorite and was talk of the neighborhood, but before I buy another one (they're expensive!) I want to make sure I have exhausted all possible measures to save this one. Also, maybe more importantly at this point, can you tell me what could have caused this? I saw this same thing happen in a neighbors a few years ago. Thanks for your help and time.

Deb

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tolleson Weeping Juniper

A close up picture....this used to be solid and full of branches that you couldn't even see through to the other side of the yard...

o

winter damage.. juniper tip blight ... and/or any of the other attendant J diseases ...

i dont know who IDd apple rust.. but i dont know why one treatment.. years ago ... cured it ...

i wouldnt spend money on trying to save it ...

and i dont know why a replacement has to be so big that it would cost a fortune to replace ... i get most of my CONIFERS mail order... see what conifer kingdom might offer ...

but all that said.. i have let all of my Juniper scopulorum die over the years... they just arent worth it ...

if you cant find something similar.. outside of the Js family .. you arent trying to hard ....

also ... they are full sun plants ... and the more shade .. the bigger the problems ... i bet.. when it was young.. it was in more sun ...

be done with it.. and move onto a better family of conifers.. IMHO ...

ken

your plant is: Juniperus scopulorum 'Tolleson's Blue Weeping'

o

Thanks for your help. Any other suggestions for a striking, unique plant? I would like it to stay green year round.....thanks again for your input.

o

there are a couple great conifer arboretums in OH ... you might ask in the conifer forum ... as well as one near adrian MI ... depending where you are ...

ken

o

thanks Ken.....just came from an amazing arboretum in Dayton.....will keep searching......

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here