Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
t_d_harvey

Yew turning brown

t_d_harvey
9 years ago

I think it may be getting too much sun because my other 2 are in partial shade and look find so far. They are about a month old. Do you think this is the cause and do u suggest transplanting to a more shaded area? This particular one is on the south east corner if the house and gets a little less than full sun.

Comments (13)

• t_d_harvey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

here is another yew that is about 10 ft to the west of the other one which gets a little more shade but it is starting to turn as well.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

its dead ... return it for refund

and its not a yew ... as far as i can tell ...

the second pic is a yew ...

all conifers are full sun plants... subject to proper planting and proper aftercare ... i suspect.. if the ones in the shade are OK.. then you probably did not properly water the one in the sun ... especially noting how dry the sandy soil is.. in the second pic ...

ken

• t_d_harvey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Adrian. Per the nursery, they are both yews. I do not think I properly watered when I first installed. I have done a little reading on yews and from what I see, they can suffer from wet feet. Since we have clay soil in north Texas, I back off watering and went to 1 watering cycle per week for deep watering.

I am new to shrub care, so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Also I did dig it up and inspect roots and they do look pretty dark on color from what I can tell.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

find a better nursery ... if they think the first one is a yew... and if they can not tell two divergent plants apart ... you have an excuse... you do not claim to be a nurseryman ...

see link ... especially in regard to watering ...

they are both conifers... which are also trees... but they really arent shrubs ... but that is a common name for such ...

i wish you luck.. from adrian MI ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• t_d_harvey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

if the second pic is a yew, than the first one is too. It is just totally brown. Maybe a different yew than you are accustomed to perhaps? When I picked then out, they looked exactly the same.

Thanks ken...sorry about the messing up your name. This little iPhone screen..u miss things you know. Ha

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

The first one is a yew, Ken, imo. It's a thirsty, baked yew. I don't really think the nursery should be responsible for replacing a plant which has been exposed to hot sun and insufficiently watered on transplanting. It looks as if was a very healthy specimen originally.

'...all conifers are full sun plants....' Tell that to the churchyard yews. Even if a mature plant can take full sun a sappy, green yew full of young growth cannot when it is first planted. Your favourite solution is a lawn chair. And I think this shrub could have used one.

• t_d_harvey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks floral. I have been going back in forth on thinking about giving it water or worrying about wet feet, because I do not think my soil drains very well. When I did dig it up to check the roots the soil was still moist. Do you think I still have a chance if I offer a little more shade and water? The inside is still pretty green. Just the outside is turning.

Lesson learned...probably planted at wrong time of year in a bad spot that gets lots of sun.

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

Part of the bad spot lies in the fact it's planted too close to the house. If it lives, it will grow.
    Mike

• t_d_harvey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Will I do more damage by moving now mike?

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

I doubt it. It still has a good root ball. Keep it moist and water after replanted. I wouldn't hesitate, myself, but I've been moving plants for years before I retired as a landscaper.
    Mike

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

Plant it on a small mound with no, or very little, amendments. In the shade, of course. NO manure!
    I'm surprised anything grows in North Texas. I spent almost a year (1964) at Shepard AFB near Wichita Falls. The summer was brutal! Extra brutal for me because I spent the previous winter working outside in Skagway, Alaska.
    Mike

• t_d_harvey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks mike. yes the summers are rough. what will grow is Bermuda! Haha I've done my while acre from seed with great success so far. all my shrubs that I have planted struggle. Ant better evergreen that you suggest to deal with the summer heat? I have a large landscape area on the south side of my house. Parts get good shade but I'm struggling with the parts in front of my up lights which get lots of sun.. The wife is after me about finding something to hide them.

Thanks again!