Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donsol_gw

Yank out 'Ivory Halo' dogwood or 'Shining Sensation' Weigela?

DonSol
12 years ago

Planting in front of house -

variegated red twig dogwood "Ivory Halo" located in corner between porch and front of the house. The green in the variegation of the dogwood is greenish-gray and oddly enough it matches the newly painted colouring of the house almost exactly.

A set of three "Shining Sensation" weigelas were planted in front of the dogwood. They have lustrous dark green and deep burgundy foliage.

The dogwood is a replacement for a shamrock holly that was just too leggy and just did not really work. The landscape was designed by a professional landscape designer and I'm embarassed to admit just how ridiculously expensive the design and installation was (for the entire front of the house - not just the dogwood/weigelas). The landscape designer succeeded in intimidating me and I'm both embarassed and sorry that I lacked the confidence to question the decisions that were made and do the research needed to discover exactly what I was getting.

Here's the problem - I don't think that the colour transition between the dogwood and the weigelas really works - that gray/green doesn't seem to work well with the dark green/ burgundy. My thinking is that I have two choices - 1) try to find something to plant below and between the weigelas to "echo" the variegated dogwood e.g. astilbe/carex/astilbe/carex/astilbe interpersed with brunnera or dusty miller or 2) yank out the weigelas and plant something more harmonious with the dogwood. Next to the dogwood/weigelas combination is a sambucus nigra and to the right of that is a small crabapple with burgundy foliage. Burgudy heucheras are interpersed throughout but they (like just about everything else) can be replaced.

An addition question is this -

on the left of the porch is a rhododendron which I want to yank out and replace with a second variegated dogwood because I don't feel that the current setup is really balanced. I apologize in advance for any misteps that I may have taken in posting to the forum but I promise to learn the rules and be a polite and courteous poster. The house itself is green with a gray undertone and the burgundy colour scheme works well but I feel that a better choice would have been to incorporate a bit of red-violet/violet to the burgundy or to have just used white throughout. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions or advice I would greatly appreaciate a reply and I'm not at all thin-skinned so please feel free to steer me back upon the right path. Thank you to one and all!

Comments (5)

• DonSol
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Just a couple of follow up notes...
    There's nothing wrong with the rhodie planted to the left of the porch - I'm just somewhat compulsive and obsessed with "balance" and I feel that a second "Ivory Halo" would offer a better sense of balance but I'll be the first to admit that I may be in need of therapy but that's a topic for a different message board... The green/gray in the "Ivory Halo" is the exact colouring of the house and the visual effect is that the dogwoods are an extension of the house and thus have a greater visual weight but now the weigelas really seem to be far to dark and to clash with the dogwood. Perhaps the "Shining Sensation" weigelas are just too dark and there isn't anything that is going to change that and it would just be easier to yank them out and replace them with three weigelas that possess a better green transition colour that works better with the "Ivory Halo" dogwood. The landscaping was just installed 3 weeks ago and it would be pretty effortless to remove whatever needed removing but I'm also concerned that at this time of the season all of the best shrubs are long gone and that I will probably have to wait until next spring to do whatever needs to be done. One lesson that I did learn was not to ever be intimidated by a professional "anything" and that I should have just trusted my own instincts because I now find myself wanting to change everything that the designer installed and replace it with everything that I originally wanted to install in my design. A lack of confidence can really be one's undoing and I should have taken a chance and failed rather than find myself in this current position. Sorry for the rambling but I'll try to subdue it to the best of my ability or to at least make it relatively amusing. Thank you to one and all...

• DonSol
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I found this -

http://www.provenwinners.com/plants/detail.cfm?photoID=8455

It's a "My Monet" weigela

and I think that it may just be the perfect solution. Any thoughts?

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

Nice, but can be finiky compared to other Weigela.

They benefit from late afternoon sun.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    12 years ago

Can you post photos? I am a big fan of shrub dogwoods - they offer a much longer season of interest with their colored stems - so I'd be inclined to 86 the weigela :-) And I wouldn't replace with the 'My Monet's either -- too much variegation going on. And it sounds like you have enough burgundy happening so maybe just a green leafed shrub? I think a green transition is just what is needed, but maybe not so dark a green as the current wiegelas project. And maybe something evergreen as well, so the red dogwood stems really contrast in winter. Boxwood is a possibility.....good textural contrast as well.

Photos would really help :-)

• DonSol
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Gardengal48 - thank you for your reply! That "86 the weigela" was pretty funny!
    No photos yet but try to "picture" this -

Variegated red twig dogwood - in back between porch and front of the house; foliage green is exactly the same colour as the house;

In front of the dogwood are three "Shining Sensation" weigelas; planted in an arc; foliage is really dark green blended with burgundy;

My idea: plant "My Monet" variegated weigela (which are compact - 18" tall) in front/between the 3 "Shining Sensation" weigelas;

I guess the idea is Dogwood (variegated foliage) (1)

weigela SS - weigela SS -weigela SS (3)

My Monet- vf MM- VF MM- VF My Monet- vf (4)

Let me know what you (or anyone for that matter) thinks.
    Thank you also to whaas.