Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
patrice607

Stinky boxwoods

patrice607
16 years ago

I'm posting for a neighbor who has boxwoods surrounding her porch. They like to sit outside in the summertime and hate the smell of the boxwoods. She is asking if there is any kind of spray that they could use to eliminate the smell.

Comments (15)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    16 years ago

I suppose you could try air freshener or scented candles :-)) LOL - there is nothing you can spray that will effectively neutralize that catty aroma - boxwoods are notorious for this and the reason I prefer to use Japanese holly as a boxwood substitute in my landscape designs. Plus, Japanese holly (Ilex crenata) doesn't discolor in winter as most boxwoods do.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    16 years ago

I refuse to have boxwood anywhere on my property for this reason. Yuk, I hate that smell. When we were house shopping a couple of years ago, the presence of mature boxwood at a neighbor's home dissuaded us from a purchase! We could smell them from the back yard. Gardengal, I've always thought of it as a 'doggy' smell, lol!

This is another perfect example of how we silly humans sometimes allow ourselves to be held hostage (as I put it) by our landscaping. We may hate the sight of something, or it scratches our eyes out, or we have to turn sideways to get into the front door, or can't sit on the porch because of the smell.....but do we remove the offending plants? I don't hesitate for one second, but I think that so many people hesitate for years before they yank something inappropriate out.

• leslies
    16 years ago

There's a deer repellent that I thought was called "Deer Away" with a floral and fairly pleasant smell. I must be misremembering the name, though, because when I looked up Deer Away, I see it's made from eggs - the wrong thing altogether! I'll see if I can find the one I have in mind (I gave mine away when I moved to a deer-free garden).

Personally I like the smell of boxwoods, but if I didn't, and if for some reason I decided not to replace the boxwoods, this is what I would try.

• cobalt_blue
    16 years ago

I have boxwoods and have never really noticed much of a smell from them at all, let alone a "catty" odor.

• greenguy1
    16 years ago

I think reaction to the boxwood smell is one of those personal things. I'm in the "stinky" camp myself, but I know lots of people who love the "fragrance" of boxwood.

I'm with Rhizo 1 here, your friends should consider replacing the boxwoods. In fact, if they are nicely grown ones, nurseries might be interested in buying them, as they are relatively easy to transplant even at large sizes and big boxwoods (at least here in Maryland) are always in big demand.

- Steve

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    16 years ago

I agree that plant fragrances and aromas in general are very subjective. I know a number of folks that think the blossoms of Viburnum tinus have an unpleasant scent, often described as "old gym shoes" or worse, but I've never noticed it. And I can't count the number of people that adore gardenias because of their fragrance, yet I find them cloying and slightly nauseating.

But walking by a hedge of boxwood or a planting of certain types of juniper on a sunny summer day, that odor reminiscent of cat urine carries just too strongly for me to appreciate :-) And I'm a pet lover! I wouldn't hesitate to rip 'em out.

• leslies
    16 years ago

This is the one I was thinking of - Deer Solution.

Doesn't do a thing for the deer, but it's a reasonably pleasant scent and it won't hurt the shrubs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Deer Solution

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    16 years ago

I remember when we moved into our new home in NC with boxwoods all around the front door (my first experience with boxwood) I was sure a neighborhood cat was spraying my front door and steps. After I found out what it was, I didn't mind it so much. Now I plant them away from the patio and entrance.

• imhannahm
    8 years ago

I have stinky boxwoods as well. Is there a plant or flower to pair with it to neutralize the smell?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    8 years ago

you really have so much excess garden space.. that you will deal with a horrifically smelly plant .. rather than just getting rid of it.. and planting something that will make your toes curl .. every time you look at it...

crikey ....

pulling up an 8 year old post... ???

start a new post next time... its great that you used the search .... but why not a new post???

ken

• sachabriana
    8 years ago

Seriously. Why hate on an experience? I've stumbled upon this thread years after the original post. Can't stand the cat-spray smell, but didn't realize until recently that the issue may be my hedges rather than the neighborhood ferrels.

• jenmae21
    7 years ago

I'm wondering if Shade/vs/sun affects the smell. If sun is the culprit, extracting oils from the leaves, maybe boxwoods are particularly more odorous in the South and in sunnier places in general in the garden. I lived in Philadelphia for 7 years and used to love going to Old City to go to the Physick gardens and english boxwood gardens, specifically because of the aroma that surrounded me there. I never once thought it smelled like cat pee or anything unpleasant. I live in Texas now and am considering pulling out some Photinias and replacing them with Boxwoods...but now having second thoughts.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    7 years ago

They certainly smell stronger in sunshine and warmth. Box in a British garden is much less smelly than box in the South of France.

• Karl Kada
    2 years ago

Our front porch is adorned with well manicured (stinky) box wood planted by the previous owner.

The aroma does fade after the early season growth but the smell can be offensive some days. I have thought about changing them but we like the look so put up with the stink.

Would be thankful for something that can neutralize thier aroma though.