Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vinny_75

Is this a bad Choice? Wisteria 'Amethyst Falls'

vinny_75
18 years ago

Folks,

Wife wanted a climber around our 4 ft mail box. We put two of these guys right next to the mailbox post (we have 2 posts, mine and neighbours). Sorrounded the edges with Hosta. Now I started reading about Wisteria and I am starting to get worried about their invasive lack of blooming behavior. Has anyone had luck with these? Greenwood Nursery says one can train these guys to a tree form and keep pruning to control the size. I am new to this and some references with help.

Thanks

V

Comments (37)

• marymd7
    18 years ago

Yikes. You planted 2 of these on a 4 ft mailbox pole?That's a cultivar of chinese wisteria which is a highly problematic exotic invasive plant in many areas. It will become a huge rampant vine growing many feet each year and sending up suckers all over the place. Keeping it in bounds requires constant supervision at a minimum.

My advice is to return them to the nursery or just pull them out and compost them. If you're really wedded to wisteria (and I agree they are beautiful), there is a native wisteria (wisteria fructescens) which is much better behaved, not an environmental problem, and also blooms much earlier and reliably.

• Greenthumb
    18 years ago

You planted wisteria around a 4' (four foot) mailbox? Wisteria can grow four feet in a week. That plant needs an arbor made out of 6" x 6" posts to support the eventual weight of the vines. Wisteria can bring huge trees down due to the weight of the vines.

Wisteria can grow to 100', if it's happy. You need to remove the plants from around the mailbox since they will get way too big for that spot (as well as making it impossible for your mail-person to deliver your mail).

Build a LARGE arbor for the vines or give them to someone who has the room/arbor for them.
    Good luck,
    Mike

• vinny_75
    Original Author
    18 years ago

It was not my fault folks. WOmen of the house got infatuated with those flowers in the picture. They will be yanked out this weekend and replaced with something different.

Thanks

• marymd7
    18 years ago

Mea culpa Jonathan. You're right. Amethyst falls is listed as a w. frutescens. However, I've also seen some sources list this cultivar as one of the asian wisterias. Vinny, did your vines come with a plant tag that says what kind of wisteria you've got. If it is w. frutescens, then you've still probably got more vine than you need, but it isn't as dire as I made it sound above.

• vinny_75
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Folks,

Here is the complete description of what I have. See link below

Please let me know if these guys can be handled by proper pruning. I can put a 5ft stake on that place for them instead of mailbox. I was little shocked at the idea of composting a living plant. are they that viscious?

Here is a link that might be useful: Wisteria Description Link

• marymd7
    18 years ago

Your link is calling this a japanese wisteria, but Jonathan is right that "amethyst falls" is a common cultivar of american wisteria. Again, japanese wisteria is the invasive, very aggressive vine. American wisteria not so much. Did you get your vines from this particular mail order company? Or, did you get them somewhere else? If the latter, did you save the tags? What do the tags say?

Even if you've got american wisteria, that is still a pretty small range for them to climb. Find or build a better trellis somewhere for the american wisteria and put a less aggressive vine, maybe a clematis, on the mailbox.

• vinny_75
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yes I did buy them from the site you saw. I bought it based on the description they had given. Was I mislead?

• marymd7
    18 years ago

Vinny, why don't you email them and ask them for the latin name of the wisteria you bought? They very clearly say that this is a japanese wisteria, but, again, as Jonathan pointed out, the cultivar name "amethyst falls" is a common cultivar of american wisteria. Explain this to them and ask again whether you have indeed purchased a japanese wisteria or whether this might in fact be an american wisteria.

• GAAlan
    18 years ago

Our native Wisteria is really a neat plant. The fact that it blooms at such a young age makes it so much better than the non-native species. I've grown 'Amethyst Falls' frutescens since June 12, 1999 and only once in that time have I had any long suckerous growth from it. A couple years ago I found one long, straight, 20' piece growing along the ground from the main trunk right at the soil line. I snipped it off, no more problem. That was truly the only inkling of rampant growth I've seen from this plant in 6 years. The rest of the top growth on mine in 6 years is not 20' long in any other direction. It is however bigger than 4', so I agree with Jonathan, if indeed you do have american wisteria don't put it on your 4' mailbox, but do put it somewhere else in your garden. I hope you can find out what you have. Here is mine in bloom on May 10 this year.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:261198}}

• Greenthumb
    18 years ago

GAAlan,
    Beautiful picture!

Does your plant bloom more than once per year?

It looks like you have your wisteria planted on a good, strong arbor, too.

Vinny_75,
    No, you were not mislead. The site states (in a couple of places) that the vines will grow 20' to 30' in length.

I agree that you shouldn't discard the vines, but you do need to build a suitable arbor for them. A 5' stake is no better than a 4' mailbox pole. There is no quick-fix for this problem.

If you are unable to supply a suitable arbor, I would see if you can find a friend/relative who might have or be able to build a proper arbor for the vines.
    Good luck,
    Mike

• shenandoah
    18 years ago

Just to chime in, you can relax. If this is a properly labeled plant it will not grow rampant and will not pull down your mailbox, as a Chinese wisteria would. There is only one Amethyst Falls and it is W. frutescens Amethyst Falls, a selection of American wisteria as other posters have pointed out. I would agree with the others that you only need one of these vines on a mailbox post, however, so move one of them elsewhere. Amethyst Falls has beautiful blue blossoms in spring that start out looking like blue pine cones and slowly open fully. They are not fragrant like Chinese wisteria, but their beauty makes up for it.

To be sure of producing flowers each year prune the vegetative branches back to six-inch spurs along the main vines in late summer. Make sure the vines get full sun and plenty of water. You will also probably have to cut back to control vine length as well, as they will certainly try to outgrow the mailbox.

• apcohrs
    18 years ago

I planted mine on an 9' arbor 10 years ago. They fit fine there. They bloomed the first year and have been dependable ever since.

You will be able to tell if yours is an oriental cv as soon as it blooms. The american wisteria does not have the extravagent long racimes of blossoms that the orientals have. My natives bloom in chubby 6-9" clumps rather than the 2-4' long tails of the orientals.

• amazondoc
    18 years ago

I also have 'Amethyst Falls'. Mine blooms twice a year so far (this is its third summer). In fact, it's in bloom right now. :-)

It does have a very odd scent -- on good days, it is spicy and complex, but on bad days it smells exactly like cat pee! LOL.

My input -- get those vines off your mailbox, and get them onto a nice arbor. Then get used to the idea of whacking it a coupla times a year. This guy doesn't get nearly as aggressive as Chinese wisteria -- but it IS still a wisteria, after all!

• vinny_75
    Original Author
    18 years ago

ok Folks,

I moved the two wisteria plants over to my rock garden where I have a 12x20 flat surface with 2 trees. I have placed them next to two trees. Rampant or not, I expect to prune them to manageable growth and hope it will wrap itself around the tree. Meanwhile I replaced the mailbox area with Clematis as one suggested.

GAAlan: Your wisteria looks stunning...

• jayco
    18 years ago

If it is Japanese wisteria, it can kill the trees.

• joefsolon
    17 years ago

BACK TO THE LINK OF THE DESCRIPTION! I looked at the picture and that was most definately not japanese wisteria! you bought amethyst falls, right? the name on the link was amethyst BLUE. there's a difference. frutescens is a native to america and is not very invasive. it also grows 1/2 the rate of asian wisterias.

• judy.graham
    16 years ago

Okay, now I'm a bit concerned with the potential smell of these plants. I don't mind if they don't smell great when my nose is right in them but if they exude a cat pee smell from a whole fence full (35+ ft) of Amethyst Falls, it'd be a major problem, disappointment, and a major expense to remedy. Please advise. I'm in zone 6 at 7,400 ft with snow in winter, if that makes a difference. Thanks.

• paulkramer
    16 years ago

Yes, I too would like to know if this plant exudes a cat pee aroma.

I just bought three small (#1 size) to plant along the hell strip between my walk and garden. I tied them up to 6' long poles in the hope of creating standards. I don't want to grow them on the wall, though I would prefer to have a vine, it's just not practical here. I figure a standard would be easier to control.

I planted them amidst a grouping of small Buxus, and miniature roses. The order is essentially Buxus, Rosa, Wisteria, Buxus, and so on.

The area receives strong PM light on one end (street end) and filtered light along the remainder.

Has anyone here grown these as standards?

• Iris GW
    16 years ago

You might want to start a new thread if you have questions. paulkramer, did you buy 'Amethyst Falls' or a japanese/chinese one? If it is japanese/chinese then keeping it as a standard will not prevent it from sending runners out to the side (underground) and popping up 10 feet away. Those wisterias are extremely aggressive.

I have never heard anyone comment about a urine odor associated with wisteria.

• paulkramer
    16 years ago

I bought Amethyst Falls.

The urine odor issue was stated a few posts above ours.

• Iris GW
    16 years ago

Well, it could be that a cat really WAS peeing on it! :) I've never heard anyone else say that. Perhaps start a new post with the title "Using wisteria as a standard" and you might get some replies. I know people have done it.

Good luck with it.

• dnk1992
    16 years ago

I had to remove an American Wisteria from my backyard and was think of giving it to a neighbor. Two problems - he has a small child and I've read that the pods and seeds are poisonous and he isn't much of a gardener (not that I am) and I'm afraid it will eventually overcome his back yard and doom him to a life of wisteria. I know that the fructens isn't AS invasive as the Asian types but that isn't saying much. Should I give it to him or chuck it?

Also do I need to treat the area the American wisteria was removed from like I would a Chinese wisteria (i.e. dig up the roots, shrubkiller, etc.). Just how bad is fructens and I'm I in for a lifetime of wisteria shoots where I pulled it up?

• emily__gardener
    15 years ago

I bought 2 wisteria amethyst falls..."American Wisteria" and planted them in Large pots to sit in front of a 6ft tall latace wall, trying to create privacy on my deck. After reading all that I have read about this, I'm concerned about my choice in this vine-plant for privacy. Will this thrive in a large pot on a deck? Will it be too agressive to prune back for a deck?

• bicoastal
    14 years ago

everything i have read, including from Bklyn Botanic Garden, indicates that this is a very controllable, friendly wisteria. Would like to know, Emily Gardener, how you potted plants thrived. Would like to do the same to cover a fence / guardrail that is part of a raised all stone terrace (therefore no dirt. and would rather not plant below the terrace where the dirt is b/c this wisteria does best with more sun)

• steve1young
    14 years ago

I'm training my beautiful 'Amethyst Falls' into a tree form and it's doing great. It's reached the top of its 6' support pole and it's already starting to branch out at the top. In the spring I break off all of the branch buds along the trunk to encourage all of its energy towards what will someday be a great blooming canopy.

The blooms are beautiful and like many have mentioned, it blooms at a very young age.

Don't sweat the odor issue. The blooms do not emit any kind of odor (good or bad) unless you put your nose right up to them.

Enjoy!

• seddonmason
    14 years ago

I was thinking of planting three 'Amethyst Falls' in a large triangle perhaps 6 feet apart and train them as trees until they grow together and self support.....any thoughts on doing this????

• jaxgal
    14 years ago

I can guarantee you this plant DOES indeed smell like cat pee and it's HORRENDOUS in the summer heat. Last year I had one outside my livingroom window and I kept smelling a strong urine smell when it was hot and I had the window open. Took me a while to figure out it was the plant and NOT my neighbor's cat. It grossed me out and I returned the plant to Lowe's. Stupid me bought another one this year because it looked so pretty . I didn't realize it was the same cultivar. It too smells strongly like cat pee. I think I'll be taking this one back as well. That is just one smell I don't relish, especially in a hot climate.

• glenn_tjh_yahoo_com_sg
    12 years ago

Hey. I�m not some great gardener or what but I think placing a American wisteria at the foot of a mailbox is not really such a good idea. This is because a wisteria is a rampant climber. Even the least invasive wisterias are still wisterias, and wisterias are (as i mentioned) rampant climbers. I think it actually depends on you. If you want a tame wisteria to form a shrubby bush, then your American wisterias like wisteria fructescens will make a good choice. However, if you want a large rampant climber to clothe your house or something like that, then i suggest our Asian ones like the Japanese wisteria (Wisteria floribunda) or the Chinese wisteria (wisteria sinesis). However, if u want something that smells really nice, then i think the Asians one suite best. My uncle has one species (i forgot the name, but its like a compact bushy form) of the American ones, and in my opinion, they smell bad. I cant really describe it, but it kinda smells like some animal pee. But if you want to plant the Asian ones, make sure it doesn�t climb onto the pipes. Cuz my Chinese wisteria climbed onto the pipe at the side of my house, and it kinda brought the whole thing down. so we are like repairing the the thing now. also, our Asian wisterias tend to send up shoots from the sides very often and they are quite hard to manage. if you want something that is easy to manage, then i think wisteria fructescens suites best

• Gorssman_Comcast_net
    12 years ago

I JUST PURCHASED ONE OF THESE BEAUTIES FROM MY LOCAL NURSERY. FORTUNATELY THEY HAVE A PROFESSIONAL WORKING THERE, (they have a weekly radio program on gardening & have written several books), AND I GOT QUITE AN EDUCATION. THE REALLY COOL PART IS THAT THEY HAVE BOTH TYPES GROWING NEXT TO A DRIVEWAY AROUND THE NURSERY. THE ASIAN WAS OUT OF CONTROL TO SAY THE LEAST. IT HAD TAKEN OCER TELEPHONE POLS, TREES, POWER LINES. I AM NOT SURE THERE WEREN'T A COUPLE OF PEOPLE AND PETS IN THAT MESS! THE AMETHYST FALLS AMERICAN WISTERIA WAS QUITE CONTROLABLE AND LOOKED QUITE NICE, LESS THAT ONE THIRD THE SIZE AND THE SAME AGE. THEY TOLD ME TO EXPECT IT TO BLOOM FROM LATE SPRING REPEATEDLY UNTIL FALL. IT WAS HOT( FOR HERE) ABOUT 80 DEGREES AND I FOUND NO PEE SMELL, AND AFTER THE EARLIER POSTINGS I STUCK MY FACE RIGHT IN IT. I PLANTED IT IN THE MIDDLE OF AN ARBOR ABOUT 6 FEET WIDE AND TALL. I WAS TOLD THAT WITH MINIMAL ANNUAL TRIMMING, (LATE WINTER), IT SHOULD BE QUITE HAPPY THERE FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE. AFTER THAT I DON'T REALLY CARE). I HAVE PUT BIRD FEEDERS INCLUDING HUMMING BIRD, ON AND AROUND THE ARBOR, AND SO FAR EVERYBODY SEEMS HAPPY. I WAS WARNED TO WATER IT REGULARLY TO KEEP IT MOIST, ESPECIALLY THE FIRST YEAR SO THE ROOTS BECOME WELL ESTABLISHED AND TO FEED IT WEEKLY THE FIRST YEAR THEN MONTHLY DURING THE GROWING SEASON AFTER THAT. SO FAR, SO GOOD, BUT MY NEIGHBORS CAT IS VERY INTERESTED IN IT ALL. I AM GETTING MY AIR HORN OUT FOR THAT ISSUE. ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS OR WAS I GIVEN BAD INFORMATION?

• elainecoffey363_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

Hi.. I was reading the posts because I will be shopping for the american wisteria soon and I appreciate all the comments. Speaking as an ex-postal carrier,though, I'd like to remind folks that your carrier has to fight off or dodge the bees when the mailboxes are beautifully adorned with flowers. Just driving up close to reach the mailbox often alerts the bees and they are sometimes agitated before you even stick your hand out..
    We used to travel with a can of bug spray, but I always hated having to spray the bees.. to deliver the mail...

• mcgolfer3
    8 years ago

I have four Amethyst Falls and love them all! I planted them inside large black nursery containers with the bottoms cut out and buried the containers and they are doing great! I planted two on a garage pergola last summer and they are already at the top of the pergola and are on their second bloom this year. My experience has been that this particular plant is not as invasive and can be controlled. When I moved into my home a few years ago I had to have two trees removed because the Asian variety had invaded the area and killed the trees. ( I live in a historic home and the trees are quite large.)
    I would definitely remove them from the mailbox area. These plants growing quickly and need more room and height.

• butter747
    6 years ago

Chinese Wisteria vines grow clockwise. Japanese Wisteria vines grow counterclockwise.

• subtropix
    6 years ago

'Amethyst Falls' is neither Chinese nor Japanese; it's a native vine that is not nearly as aggressive as either of the Asian species. We love ours and have it growing over a pergola. Now, I will have to see how the native species rolls (clockwise or clockwise)..., LOL!

• butter747
    6 years ago

Lol - my Amethyst Falls (American - Frutescens) vines grow counterclockwise :-)

• Anumeha Gupta
    2 years ago

Hi, is it safe to plant an American Wisteria Amethyst falls near other shrubs and plants ?

• Lisa S
    last year

I have 3 Amethyst Falls wisteria trees. my largest (about 10’ widex5’tall) i need to trim about every two weeks, or it completely loses its shape, it grows that fast. the first year i owned it, i took a few discarded clippings, soft cuttings, and tossed them in the woods. Those few clippings have completely taken over my woods and are becoming quite an invasive problem. Personally, i would not have bought the first one, which was from a small nursery (the other two were gifts), had I known how much work was involved and how problematic they would become for me. note to self, bag and throw away any clippings!