Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
weekendweeder

cat attacking my Weigela Wine and Roses

weekendweeder
11 years ago

We planted this last year and this spring it bloomed well. A three or so weeks ago, however, we noticed that an animal seemed to have trampled on some of its branches, so we put a garden hoop around it. (This was effective for a young azalea that got repeatedly trampled this spring.) We weren't sure what critter was responsible for this. We've had deer and dogs wander into our yard before. But last weekend we finally witnessed a cat aggressively pawing at the Weigela, shaking the entire shrub. I'm considering a sturdier barrier now. Anyone have any suggestions?

I'm also wondering what to do about pruning. We haven't trimmed it back because I wanted to see what branches were affected by the pawing. Some are definitely looking dried up. Should I just cut the shrub back uniformly, or concentrate on removing the branches that seem dead?

Many thanks for any help.

Comments (10)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

wegalia are not sheared.. what i presume you are call 'cut the shrub back uniformly'

google rejuvenation pruning of shrubs.. that is the basic system.. and that would involve.. removing the whole of a damaged branch ...

the reason.. if you time it wrong.. and shear off all of next years buds.. it wont bloom ...

ken

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    11 years ago

That's odd I know....my neighbor adopted a couple of teen aged type cats at the shelter one year some time ago and I found they were not only climbing a viburnum in my back yard, they were using it as a scratching post - and definitely tore up some bark. The shrub did recover.

Try encircling it with a repellent, the end result might look more appealing than a full cage. Havahart makes a good one called Critter Ridder. I know its annoying to have to purchase products to deal with other peoples animals, I do sympathize with you.

As for the shrub, best may be to cut off anything clearly damaged or broken with sharp pruners, removing any jagged or torn stems.

• weekendweeder
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the responses. I'll prune the shrub tomorrow. Hopefully it'll keep a decent shape after all the dead branches are gone.

morz8, I unfortunately didn't see your post till after I'd already gotten a cage, but I'll definitely look into Critter Ridder. I've been using several different sprays for deer and rabbit, but I didn't know you could get stuff for cats and dogs as well. (Also, if it really repels squirrels, I'll be extra thrilled.)

We have a handful of neighborhood cats (a couple of which just seems like strays) that wander in and out of our yard, and I tend to enjoy their company�or at least find them innocuous. Don't know why that one fellow got so aggressive with a young shrub that isn't even good for sharpening his claws against!

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    11 years ago

You'd want the longer lasting granules for cats and dogs, not the spray version. The first time I bought it, was a special order product, but I've since seen it at Walmart, Freddies, so not so hard to locate any more.

Squirrels are actually listed on the label, but I don't have personal experience with how effective, we don't have squirrels.

Here is a link that might be useful: Critter Ridder

• User
    11 years ago

I am new to the Weigelia shrub having recently planted Wine and Roses. In my area their is a big feral cat population but the cats have not damaged any of my plants. I plant for DEER resistance so maybe this helps. But I would suggest you plant something for the cat--catnip maybe. I planted some Low Walker's catnip, and I can tell the cats lie in it occasionally but that does not stop the catnip from blooming or spreading. Weigelia is right next to it and is completely ignored.

• green_go (Canada, Ontario, z 5a)
    11 years ago

I have the same problem. And it seems that only "Wine and Roses" and cultivars derived from it attract cats - they are completely indifferent to other weigelas. My cat (see pic) just can't get enought of it: she sniffs, eats flowers and rolls all over the shrub and even sleeps in it. I just try to keep it well-trimmed and low, so the damage is not evident.
    {{gwi:261333}}

• User
    11 years ago

I have Low Walker's catnip planted nearby, and this one looks like something occasionally uses it as a mattress. But I don't let my cats into the yard for fear of deer ticks, fleas...etc.. Instead I fenced in the deck and they love to hang out there where their big thing is to munch the weeds growing in containerized plants. Indoor plants they largely ignore but they love anything grassy (spider plants, water cypress, etc.,) and occasionally flowers, including carnations).

Green__go, you cat is so brazen. Mine is sneaky about doing bad things then looks remorseful. Otherwise, my cat looks very similar to yours.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:261332}}

• green_go (Canada, Ontario, z 5a)
    11 years ago

njoasis, your cat is so cute and has this naughty look in the eye that just advertises: "the trouble is coming" :)I also have plenty of Low Walker's catnip growing around, but my cat seems to be completely indifferent to it and prefers munching on weigelas� go figure? :)

• User
    11 years ago

And that's why they're cats and we love'em. Yeah, definitely a cat person here but thought I was gonna bust a gasket on Satuday. Went to a local strip mall and some idiot locked up his/her Alaskan Husky in a black, pick up truck with windows sealed up and dog panting. I found the police before I got the brick to break the window and thus, avoided criminal charges. What is wrong with people?! I wouldn't leave a plant like that! Guess it's no surprise then when they do the same with their kids!!

• User
    11 years ago

And that's why they're cats and we love'em. Yeah, definitely a cat person here but thought I was gonna bust a gasket on Satuday. Went to a local strip mall and some idiot locked up his/her Alaskan Husky in a black, pick up truck with windows sealed up and dog panting. I found the police before I got the brick to break the window and thus, avoided criminal charges. What is wrong with people?! I wouldn't leave a plant like that! Guess it's no surprise then when they do the same with their kids!!