Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need to identify shrub/bush

Posted by nkrz EC OH (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 8, 06 at 9:50

My husband brought me parts of a bush that he found in the woods. It gets real bushy about 6 feet or more taller and even wider. The flowers resemble the babies breath flowers and the leaves are pretty small. I thought perhaps spirea, but the flowers are totally different. Anybody have a clue as to what this could be?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need to identify shrub/bush

Try Deutzia?

o

Common Elderberry, Sambucus canadensis

o

• Posted by nkrz EC OH (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 9, 06 at 6:35

I checked both of those out, and neither are the bush I'm talking about. It has since quit blooming, but each flower hangs of the branch on what looks like tiny little strings, but the whole branch is covered with them. The flower is real tiny, smaller than a button about a 1/4 of an inch wide. The leaves are very small too.

o

I wonder if it could be a wild chokecherry tree.. later in the summer they are filled with bright red berries and are very pretty. The branches are thin and graceful, but break easily.

o

Or maybe a pin cherry would fit the flower description better?

o

• Posted by nkrz EC OH (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 12, 06 at 7:59

I checked those two out too, but its not the bush I have...The stems that hold the flowers have very small leaves and the branch has little 'strings' about half an inch long that each holds a flower about a quarter of an inch wide that looks like babies breath flowers. I have searched everywhere but cant find this bush/shrub. Thanks for trying though!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here