Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jan_wi5

Ilex crenata 'Sky Pencil'

jan_wi5
17 years ago

I just purchased 3 of these Japanese holly plants. The catalog stated that they were appropriate for zone 5-8. Well, in wandering the internet I found several other sites that say the coldest zone for them is zone 6 or 7! Now I'm worried that they won't survive our chillier winters here in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. If anyone out there is from zone 5 and has successfully grown these plants, please let me know. I need to be reasured that my investment wasn't for naught.

Comments (10)

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    17 years ago

You have a chance in zone 5. Broadleaf evergreens are damaged more by cold winds and strong sun while the roots are frozen, not simply by the cold. Choose an appropriate spot.

• doniki
    17 years ago

I've had good luck with Sky Pencil here in NE Ohio and I've seen it growing in Mid-Michigan without a problem. Cold wouldn't be your problem... Best sited out of winter wind and sun... Maybe spray it with an anti-dessicant in Dec and again in Feb...

• jan_wi5
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh boy! I've planted them in full sun on the west side of my lot. The northern winter winds will blow directly down my neighbor's driveway right on to these new little beauties. I might be able to rig some sort of windbreak though. I guess only time will tell how they'll do.

• barefootinct
    17 years ago

Jan,
    Yes, time will tell. But experienced gardeners here can tell you NOW. Those little Sky Pencils will not like the west side of your zone 5 lot. Too exposed to the winter sun and, especially, wind. If you want them to be happy and you want to be happy in return you should probably move them to a more protected spot. Otherwise, be prepared to protect them seriously in the winter (read up on how to do that) and to prune windburned pieces come spring.

As far as gardening gambles go, this isn't a good one.
    Patty

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    17 years ago

I second Patty's warning. I nearly lost an Ilex crenata Green Luster to fierce winter winds, and I'm in zone 6b! I had it protected with burlap, but took it off too soon. A return of cold winds for a few days was the last straw.

That poor little holly lost all of its leaves. It's coming back now, but looks awful. You won't win this one.

Claire

• doniki
    17 years ago

jan- if you are in a major city or metro area, it shouldn't be that much of a problem if they are planted on the west side of the house... Still not as desirable as eastern exposure, but winds and temps are moderated much more in town versus in the country. I live in the "city" and mine are planted out in the open yard, but my backyard is surrounded by other homes and I've never had any winter burn- plus I'm a plant addict and I've got a lot of protection from other, larger plants in the yard...

• floresbellas
    17 years ago

I have one of these (about 18 inches tall, have only had it for one year) growing against the protected east side of my rural house in mid-Michigan. This past winter was mild and it came through fine and is just now putting on a lot of new growth. I wouldn't try these in an exposed area, unless you got them really cheap and want to experiment. Maybe you could look into some junipers (juniperus communis 'Pencil Point') for the same vertical effect in a western exposure? I don't know how those would hold up to a snow load though.

• waplummer
    17 years ago

I have been growing Ilex crenata convexa for 40 years in zone 5, but in a wind-protected site. The prblem I have is if I prune late summer, the new growth not hardening off. I too just bought a sky pencil which is planted on the east side of the house well protected from wind and full sun.

• jnewbold
    9 years ago

I'm also in Milwaukee and looking to put in some Sky Pencil holly. How did yours ever turn out?

• ronniepuddle
    9 years ago

Can anyone tell me what is going on here? My plant is seven feet tall. It faces east - north. It is protected. I tie it all up in the winter. The leaves are falling off when I shake it. Help.