Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mjm_nj

What is going on with my Privet?

mjm_nj
12 years ago

I have an old privet headge. I am fairly new property owner and I am learning. I have been working n getting everything healthy and properly maintained, but this privet has me condused. It is shaped like a hedge wall, I trim it a few times during the summer. It is not as thick as I would like it... Last year it was not really lush. I figured it was from the heat. Last summer was very hot and dry. This spring they started growing and were very lush and green. Maybe I waited to long to prun them since I had to cut off a lot of the growth and leaves to get them into the shape I wanted. They are growing leaves again now in most spots. What happened last year is happening again. about 2 or 3 weeks ago we had a heat wave of 3 or 4 days in the high 90s. It seems the leaves and growth still on the bushs went from fresh and lush to leathery rough and dark with white specks that don't come off. The headge go all the way around the property, but they all turned this way overnight it seems like. Some sides do grow a little better then others, but they all are not doing as good as they were a few weeks ago.

My care routine is I will pull out dead branches when I see them, saplings when I see them and trim them when they lose thier shape. Do I need to water these regularly like my other landscaping? I was under the impression privet can just be left alone. What should I be doing to make them healthy and full?

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (11)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

whats on the back of the leaves .. aphids??? .. scale...

i think i see scale on some of the branches .. if so.. they are literally sucking the plant dry ...

there are systemic remedies for such ... such as by bayer ... but it wont be cheap but are very effective .... and personally i dont know if i would invest in privet.. with all the maintenance they require ...

there are also organic solutions [oil spraying]... which never worked for me ...

but i recall my first house.. listen closely .. the happiest day of my life in the garden.. was the day i got rid of the last horrible problem the prior owner left me ...

do NOT hesitate for one minute.. to move on with your life.. and put you own stamp on the landscape ... though it will be hard work .. or expensive ... you will be creating your own problems.. rather than messing with the prior owners nightmares ...

ken

• mjm_nj
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, I don't really see any that looks like scale on the wood. It What is it that you see that looks like scale? I can try to get a better picture. It seems to just be the leaves. If it was scale would the tree have ever been lush with new growth? I am going to go take a picture of the backs of the leaves, but they looked ok. I have thought about ripping them out, but I live on a main road I need the privacy and potection from garbage they provide. I also can't afford anything else, so I am trying to get them to work for me... What is the Bayer treatment?

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

Let's figure out what the problem is before thinking about 'the Bayer treatment', okay?

I'd like to see some different pictures. I'm not sure what Ken is seeing...can't see any scale and am wondering where the back of the leaves are?? The image I'm seeing shows what appears to be a terrible spider mite problem (leaf stippling), but I wonder if that's just because the image is really grainy.

12 years ago

bottom right corner... branch coming upwards.. seems to have white specks..

other than that.. it is not a great picture ... for diagnosis

and yes... chemicals are the last resort ... AFTER proper ID ..

can we rule out lawn spray drift ...

regardless of budget.. you ought to at least.. start thinking about how to get rid of them .. yet maintain your privacy ... a pic of the whole might help us make suggestions ....

one that comes to mind.. it to begin to plant replacement plants... now ... small and cheap.. so that in 5 years.. when the have achieved size.. you can remove what i suspect might still be problems ...

also.. consider diversity of choice ... when you have too many of one thing.. and you are relying on them.. and they all fail at the same time... then you might be able to see the wisdom of having many different plant types ...

ken

• mjm_nj
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks guys, i am sorry it took a while to post back. The weekend has been a little busy. I have a picture of the back of the leaves. I will take more pictures tomorrow and try to make sure they are a little better. I am using an iphone. What is Lawn spray drift?

Here is a link that might be useful:

• mjm_nj
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I took some more pictures. I knokw they are not great. THey are stil from my phone. I can not find my camera.

Here is a link that might be useful: privet pics

12 years ago

naw.. i dont see any scale in these pix...

but you did bring back teenhood nightmares of having to shear privet twice a year ... at the parents house ...

i want to see what others tell you.. before i tell you what i would do ...

ken

• mjm_nj
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Ken, looks like your the only one with an idea with what's going on.

12 years ago

come on shrubs peeps... no one can ID the problem ...

perhaps you ought to try the NAME THAT PLANT FORUM ... those peeps.. can name a problem.. as well as a plant ... report back here ...

i was thinking.. and this is stark.. of cutting every other one back severely ... to rejuvenate an aged hedge ... then next year do the same with the other half ...

but i still want a proper ID on the problem .. before i would wholeheartedly recommend such ...

ken

• deltaohioz5
    12 years ago

Could be powdery mildew.

Frank

Here is a link that might be useful: powdery mildew

• sam_md
    12 years ago

Search False Spider Mites

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews