Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linaria_z7_ch

To fertilze or not to fertilize, that`s the question...

linaria_gw
9 years ago

Hi there

every now and then I get into a debate about fertilizing newly planted shrubs (or trees).

Situation:
resilient shrubs like Ligustrum, Lonicera, Viburnum, smallish, about 3 feet high, planted in autumn,

planted into rather heavy, loamy soil, some compost aded as topdressing.

I prefer to fertilize in year 2 after planting, if at all neccessary.

the idea being that the plants spread their roots searching for good stuff (hopefully).
And the soil itself isn`t really hat poor going by the size of the wild flowers/weeds. Stuff like privet isn`t that fussy.

And I think that watering is far more important. In case of a dry, hot spell and signs of strong wilting I would kind of drench them and then leave them alone for at least a week.

With fertilizer added, probably just horn shavings, I would expect the young shrubs to develop more foliage than their new rootsystem can support in a hot summer.

What is your point of view? I am really interested in your experience or opinion.

Thanks a lot, bye, Lin

Comments (6)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

planted into rather heavy, loamy soil, some compost added as topdressing.

==>>> wow ... and what is lacking from soil described as such ...

hey-Zues ... i plant in glacial mineral sand .. and have NEVER ;.. EVER .... fertilized a shrub ...

do you own stock in fert companies ... or just have so much flash.. you like giving it to them???

lol ...

let me repeat.. in case i didnt say it before ... they NEED nothing... ever ...

BUT .... if it pleases you .. do whatever you want ... that has nothing to do with their NEEDS ... its about your compulsion to feed your children ...

but i would also skip year one ... might burn tender new roots ...

i am having fun today.. i hope you are also ...

ken

ps: i would kill to have some loam in my sand.... for the hosta.. the shrubs dont care ...

pps: and if you send me a swiss nickle.. i will tell you how i really feel .. lol

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

The accepted horticultural practice is NOT to fertilize new plantings. First, nursery grown plants are fertilized by the grower or at the retail nursery and are typically good to go for sometime.

Second, depending on the time of planting and condition, this can be a stressful situation for plants and stressed plants are not able to properly absorb or metabolize nutrients. So-called "root boosting" or vitamin B1 ferts (often sold as starter fertilizers) are really just another fertilizer marketing myth to get you to buy more. They don't really accomplish anything.

Finally, fertilization should never be considered a standard or routine practice but only if and when the plants indicate a specific deficiency or a soil test indicates such. Woody plants in the landscape seldom need supplemental fertilization and especially if one mulches with compost or other organic matter.

ps. to Ken.......never say never :-) It's a very long time and plants can deplete available soil nutrients and if so, will require supplemental fertilization.

This post was edited by gardengal48 on Fri, Jun 6, 14 at 14:42

• linaria_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Ken and Gardengal,
    so I got it right wit h the fertilizer.

----
    I work as a landscape architect, doing planting designs and it is my part to supervise the landscapers planting the stuff.

They ALWAYS show up with a big bag of horn shavings. Even though we did not put it on any orderform or something.
    Not sure whether it is something they teach at the local gardening schools or just funny tradition or Pavlowsher gardener's reflex.

Even with my boss I had a discussion, he was not convinced that fert is unneccessairy. But as his point was that "every landscape contractor does it" I just kept pointing out that for freshly planted stuff that's just not helpful. And that they do plenty of other stuff wrong ( every proper landscaper, just ignore that)
    There are so many gardener's lores or wrong habits:

Slug pellets are applied in thick walls around the endangered plant

My pet peeve myth is that rose and lavender is good for the roses
    followed by
    Ornamental grasses like Miscanthus need to be tied together in winter or they die.

Just returned from my garden throwing a little fert at my established roses, so I did have some fun

Bye, Lin

• linaria_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

and for ken a pic of 5 Rappen, the smallest coin

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

a literal laugh out loud.. thank you ... i am still having fun ...

i am with you gal ... and inspired to see you say some of the goo's sold.. are all marketing myth ...

but you know.. when the soil wears out.. in say 30 or 50 years... i will either be dead.. or not really care.. if the shrub also is.. lol ... [i mean really ... think about the soil wearing out under a 200 year old oak.. or a 300 year old sequoia ... yeah sure... whenever ... soil doesnt wear out ...]

the inclination of too many peeps ... newbs especially ... is to feed their children.. it just drives me insane.. that they think the need to feed the inanimate objects out in the yard ..

yes.. if the soil is lacking something... like N-P-K ... then adjust it..

but crikey.. they dont need to be fed.. the soil needs amending ...

can i put my soap box away for now???

ken

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    9 years ago

I would never feed a plant that is not showing signs of active growth and am careful not to encourage too much fall growth. I do not amend planting holes, either.

But I do feed- I do throw Holly Tone around every spring as well as some 10-10-10.
    While my soil tests show that nitrogen is needed the truth is that I do it for me- so that I feel like I am doing the best possible for the plants in my care.

It's pathological- I am a feeder. I would list my job description (I'm a stay at home housewife) as "I Feed Things." I feed my husband, my dogs and cats and fish, and my plants. And I make sure that all of them get the very best possible- I have a refrigerator full of live worms for my aquatic friends, a freezer full of raw bones for my raw fed dogs and cats, and a grocery bill full of organic foods and fresh produce for the humans.
    Why should fertilizer be any different? :)

My gardening experience is rooted on 30 years in the tropics where the "soil" held no nutrients whatsoever and my plants relied on my weekly feedings. I have scaled back tremendously since moving to a temperate climate, but yes- the urge to feed still exists. I want them to be happy.

I know I'm ridiculous- don't need Ken pointing it out, LOL.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!