Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
No viburnum flowers this year

Posted by dr.liz 7 NJ (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 18, 14 at 10:39

I have a pair of viburnum nudum-Winterthur and Moonshine. They were planted in the fall a year and a half ago and had a few fruit on them. The next spring they bloomed, but this year nothing. They appear to be perfectly healthy. They are growing in some significant shade, though. I moved Winterthur out to a slightly sunnier spot last fall, but Moonshine is still getting quite a bit of shade. Fothergilla bloomed great at this location this spring. I'm not sure if shade is the problem or whether it could be something else. Did anyone else have trouble this year? We had a ton of snow.
Liz

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: No viburnum flowers this year

A photo in happier times. Last spring.
The one nearest the tree is the one I moved out. It is now to the right of its companion. It would be just out of the frame of this photo.

o

It was a strange winter.
I'd not worry unless it happens again next spring.

o

Both of my doublefile viburnums bloomed only on the lower branches that were below the snow line. Some of the top branches were dead or didn’t flower.
My snowball viburnum, however, did well and had more blooms than ever- it survived the harsh winter without a hiccup. Same with Viburnum trilobum , Viburnum carlesii and Viburnum dentatum Blue Muffin - looks like they are very hardy fellas.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here